Mandrake,RedHat,SuSe

Just tried Mandrake 9.1,bit of an improvement on 9 except the bootloader is screwed,in that you can put the bootloader on a floppy (my preference) but when you reboot you get this:

99 99 99 99 99 99 99.........etc

This apart .......not bad ,a few more tweaks,particulary with the burning software........

I'm looking to try RedHat 9 and SuSe 8.2................anybody tried /used them ??

*** I'm relatively new to linux so no harsh comments from real linux guru's please. ***

i think the rehat 9 will give windows a run for the money any time. suse8.2 is not really "out" yet. i tried mandrake 9.1 and it is good until you make disk changes (partitioning). and if you try to remove software or add it in mandrake 9.1, it will really get buggy on you. (99 99 99 etc) . mandrake is a "winner" out of the start gates but has to me really proven to be a dog and a slow one for me. its software/disk handling really sux after a while.

redhat is not as user friendly and may require you to learn a little bit of basic stuff, but the redhat install just "stays" in there.

if you have broadband, go to google, search for knoppix. download the latest (041503) iso. it boot from a cd, makes no changes to your hard drive. it runs off a cd-rom only.
gotta go. spycat

Seb

SuSE won my heart :)
about ur prob, me thinks its a prob with LiLo no recognising ur partition

Your problem indicates one of the fundamental LInux problems: kernel unpacks with a CRC error, something that is usually caused by an ovferclocked CPU or AGP.
I have seen that numerous times in the past, and the "999's" vansihed when I returned my CPU clock to normal.

Mandrake 9.1 has other, rather serious problems- some of them are fixed by now. You may think that the guys had gone too far by this time- but that lasts until the next "final" release. This time both the RPM installers were half broken, and also the linux kernel source files were not matching the actual kernel included (!).

i wanna make a switch to linux but i will wit a bit longer in have been using windows way too long and i wanna go with linux but the thing i dont now is how to make my modem awork with it and how to make it even come on.. i thin i will buy a comp with it preinstalled and play with it untill i cna get used to it then makethis one a linux box also

Latest stable Linux kernel supports almost all kinds of modems, including USB, wireless and even "some" winmodems- so I don't think the modem will be a major problem.

thanx for the info i think or i hope it supports mine if so i will be makeing the switch alot sooner

i will try and start with redhat 9

Just installed RedHat 9. What an improvement over 8 ! looks like I'll be sticking with this for a while yet.

SuSe is in the post so hopefully in the next couple of days I'll get to see how good it is.
Your problem indicates one of the fundamental LInux problems: kernel unpacks with a CRC error, something that is usually caused by an ovferclocked CPU or AGP.
I have seen that numerous times in the past, and the "999's" vansihed when I returned my CPU clock to normal

Nope...no overclocking on this box....but looking thru Mandrake forums others have had the same probs so I guess its in the bootloader ?

Not tried knoppix have to get someone to d/l as I'm on dial up (until may 7......then ADSL arrives !)

I initially had the kernel unpack error with SuSE 7.3, but I have also seen it in other instances too. The reason was all the times the CPU clock settings, and in one case the addon of a RAM stick.
It's a fact that the release of Mandrake 9.1 was very hasty- the proof is that there are already more than 400 MB of bugfixes available.