Lord of the Rings a big winner

dx

What can I say... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings... Lord of the Rings.

My congrats to Peter Jackson and crew on finally getting the recognition they deserve at the Academy. 11 Adademy Awards... including Peter Jackson, Best Director, and Lord of the Rings for Best Film.

About damn time! :cool:

To my friends and family in New Zealand (my home away from home)... be proud this day. Middle Earth couldn't have found a better home.

Well donr to them, they made what i consider to be the new benchmark in movies, 3 stunning epic movies & special kudos to Peter Jackson, he has come a long way since his early comedy splatter movies like Bad Taste & Braindead, have always loved his work (Meet the Feebles i consider a classic) :)

BaNzI :D

LOTR was not a bad film, but nothing more than that... artistically speaking, Von Trier's "Dogville" should have swept everything- but it was a very annoying film for the industry- so it was not even nominated...
And from the nominated films, Clint Eastwood's "Mystic River" was not just better than it's former "Unforgiven" masterpiece, but clearly the best nominated film by far, and equally clearly not a film that would sweep the prices. Sean Penn's oscar for his performance on the film is clearly not enough- if Hollywood was using artistic criteria then the unnominated Dogvile or the nominated Mystic River (exhellent film, but not an all-time classic like Dogville- and this is a very serious statement for a Von Trier film!- that guy has also made all-time classics like "element of crime" and "dancer in the dark"- both did not get ny oscar awards, of course...) should have swept the board.
BTW the Charlize Thuron oscar was fully deserved- probably the only one...

I guess that's what happens when the merit of a film is not the primary consideration in the awards. The only good part of watching them is if you play a drinking game during the speeches.
BTW, I loved LOTR, and can't wait for the third to come out on DVD. It brought me back to High School days when I was enthralled with the books.

The Oscars have been for many years a Public Relations jobbie for the film industry.
I have to say that LOTR 3 is a great film & deserves recognition but the only thing that can justify 11 is the fact that Titanic got 11 & lets face it LOTR 3 is Much better than that film.
It will boost sales of the movie which has passed the Billion in revenue quicker than Titanic (the only other film ever to do that) & will no doubt eventually gross more to become the biggest box office film of all time.
And of course that really is the bottom line for movies made for profit how much they make.
I never watch the oscars (load of bull**** & hype If U dont agree well one of the oscars LOTR 3 got was for Achievement in makeup) but I must admit I was glad Nemo got one

Best animated feature film of the year

Brother Bear
Finding Nemo - WINNER
The Triplets of Belleville

this is an absolutely stunning & enjoyable film.

dx

Scarecrow... you were a little too early on this one. "Dogville" was not up for Academy consideration this year as Lions Gate Films decided to push back its US theatrical release until this month. I understand it is eligible for this coming year... and many critics feel it will be nominated in various categories.

Von Trier's "Dogville" is an excellent film. Stylistically, it is compelling and unique. Sadly, it looses the audience many times throughout it's 3 hour journey. It's message is a little overwrought as well. But I believe that is what Von Trier wanted. His films are less about pleasing an audience and more about making you think.

I disagree that it is an "Anti-American film." I think only narrow minds believe it is such and it is sadly the only reason some like it... which is a shame as it really detracts from the film's inherent message. Arogance, hypocrisy, and the abuse of power are worldwide, even eternal concepts.

If any film really was ripped off this year... it was "The Station Agent." It is a well celebrated film that pleases its audience and makes you feel good to be alive. Hence it accolades in the world film festival circuit.

But in the end I know what you are saying... the Academy Awards, like many others awards (not just cinema), are nothing more that popularity contests... always have been and always will be. My comments above should not be construed as to my belief that "Lord of the Rings" deserved every award it received, but rather that I'm pleased that the Academy for once saw through the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre and rewarded a film that took us on a wonderful journey.