Liteon 411s specs.

lolbroo

I've just bought a 411s and on the box it states that it writes dvd+r at 8x. Neither Nero or Roxio recognise this and only recognise a 4x speed writer. Nero infotool and Cdvdinfo only report a 4x drive even with an 8x dvd+r blank disk in the drive. At Liteon.com the spec for the 411s states that it is only a 4x speed writer in either format. Does the firmware need flashing? Should a drive manufactured in January of this year need any modification to make it do what it says on the box?
Any clarification will be more than welcome
cheers
lolbroo

Its a 4x drive. Its the 8xxxx series that burn at 8x.
Sounds to me like you should get your money back.
A regular firmware update will not add calibration for 8x burning
Heres a good place for info on this :)

lolbroo

How can this be. It's an official Liteon product, boxed with software, and the box says it writes dvd+r at 8xspeed. These drives are still for sale on e-bay and, I dare say, other places as well
cheers
Lol

lolbroo said:
How can this be. It's an official Liteon product, boxed with software, and the box says it writes dvd+r at 8xspeed.

Are you shure that this isn't a sticker on the box?It could be put there by the retail store....
I have a 411S myself and had to flash the eeprom to make it an 811S,so I could write dvd+r @ 8X...

At the end of the day take it back and demand your money back or get a 8x DVD burner.Liteon with the digit starting wit 4** are 4x..Only 8x with doing a mod as the other have told you.

Does the box say it's a 411S, and 8x ?

If the box says 8x, but doesn't specify the model, I'm guessing you may have got a possibly USED 411S that was repacked into an 811S box - some places are pretty slack, and it's not unheard of to find repacked drives sold as new - give 'em the benefit of the doubt and say it's accidental.

Was it mail order, or instore?

411S is definitely a 4X burner, which can be flashed for 8X burning. Such sort of flashing voids the drive warranty, so its highly unlikely that you could find it flashed at any store with 3 grams of self-respect.

lolbroo

The box just says 8x not the model number. It's a proper printed LITEON box. No stickers. I didn't know the model until I removed it from my machine to look for identification prion to trying to solve this problem.
411 drive in a 811 box looks a likely answer. Now to try to get the vendor on e-bay to accept responsibility as I've still received no reply to the 4 e-mails I've sent LITEON
thanks for all your help
Lolbroo