Lite-On 812S burner died???

sabje26

Is there anyone who can tell me if there is some program or something to see if your DVD burner still works correctly?

I've got so many problems burning DVD's with my Lite-On 812S. :mad:
Most of the DVD's (PS2 backups, movie backups, etc.) I made just burned fine without any errors, but 4 of the 5 DVD's won't work. I've tested the PS2 backups on 2 different PS2 consoles (with Messiah and Ripper 2 Gold) and with different software (DVD Decrypter and Nero), but they won't play in both consoles. My movie backups also won't play on several different standalone DVD players, it's saying "No disc" all the time. I'm using DVD's from the same spindle I used a couple of months ago, and then they're all burned and played without any problems.

First I thought it was a media problem, but now I think it's something else, because I have it with a lot of different media types (That's write + and -, Nashua, Philips, Arita, etc. etc) that all worked fine a couple of months ago. And some DVD's (1 of the 5 approx) works okay.

Is it because my burner died, or maybe there is another problem?

You can evaluate the burn, in the same drive, with a Liteon specific tool called KPROBE 2 http://www.k-probe.com/ ** NB. this is a search result, and I have no idea if this is an official site for Kprobe.

An alternative tool is Nero CDSpeed - included with Nero, or available (freeware) from www.cdspeed2000.com

Have you changed firmware since the good burns? - Results with some media have taken a serious dive in some firmware versions.

I would also use CDSpeed to do a transfer rate test, at max speed, since a burn that looks quite good in Kprobe, can still fail or experience monumental slowdowns - in general, if you test with multiple methods, believe the worst result, not the best.

sabje26

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I shall download Kprobe and look what it says, and also look what Nero CDSpeed says.

About the firmware: No, I didn't change the firmware since the good burns, that's the strange thing. It always worked fine, and from one day to another it didn't work anymore. Strange huh?

sabje26

Still some problems...

Okay, I've tested a DVD with Kprobe and Nero CDSpeed, and it passes on both programs without any errors or other bad things.

After that I tried to burn the DVD I tested, and it went wrong again. First I simulated burning with Nero (6.3.1.20), what also passed without any problems or errors. But when I start burning, it hangs in the Lead-in, and keeps hanging and hanging.

Have you got some more tips or things I can try to figure out what's wrong?

the Nero log file is called "NeroHistory.log" and is stored in the Nero program folder; when posting the file please delete out your Nero serial number;

about your not playing DVDs: might be wrong settings in Nero;

Greetings from
Duracell

jake224

sabje26 said:
Okay, I've tested a DVD with Kprobe and Nero CDSpeed, and it passes on both programs without any errors or other bad things.

After that I tried to burn the DVD I tested, and it went wrong again. First I simulated burning with Nero (6.3.1.20), what also passed without any problems or errors. But when I start burning, it hangs in the Lead-in, and keeps hanging and hanging.

Have you got some more tips or things I can try to figure out what's wrong?
I had the same problem with my LiteOn burning a CD. It turned out to be Nero was in Multi Session mode. I don't know how that happened I always use Disk At Once. After making the change all worked again.

sabje26

Thanks for the tip Jake! I checked it in Nero, but it's on "No multisession", so I guess that's not the problem. But thank you very much for your reply.

I hereby attache my Nero log. Again I tried to burn a DVD, simulation worked fine,

The first couple of logs logs from 02-09 gave two different errors, and the log started at 09:51:39 was succesfully completed, it is from a DVD I burned without any problems, but it won't play and gives "no disc" in two different stand alone DVD players (Sony and Hiteker). The log from 12:55:36 is from the same file, and burned and played without any problems.

When I looked at my log, I noticed that it isn't complete. This morning I also tried to burn a DVD, simulation passed successfully (althoug it took quite a long time when it was Leading out), but when I try to burn the DVD 'for real', again it hung in the Lead-in. I waited for about 40 minutes, but it was still standing at 1% leading in. I had to kill everything with the reset button on my computer. And the strange thing is that there's nothing about this in my log from Nero. Is this because I killed everything?

Attachments

sabje26 said:
Tthe log started at 09:51:39 was succesfully completed ... but it won't play and gives "no disc" in two different stand alone DVD players (Sony and Hiteker).
The log from 12:55:36 is from the same file, and burned and played without any problems.
i can't find a real difference between both logs; but anyway your Nerro settings are not really in compatibility mode for standalones;
choose: "DVD (UDF/ISO)", "ISO Level 1", "ISO 9660",
deselect "Joliet", deselect "pathdepth more than 8", deselect "more than 255 characters", "select do not add the 1"

but when I try to burn the DVD 'for real', again it hung in the Lead-in. I waited for about 40 minutes, but it was still standing at 1% leading in. I had to kill everything with the reset button on my computer.
have a look at your log file:
Existing drivers:
File 'Drivers\CDRALW2K.SYS': Ver=5.3.2.34, size=23420 bytes, created 3-10-2002 1:51:20
File 'Drivers\ASPI32.SYS': Ver=4.71 (0001), size=17005 bytes, created 14-8-2002 15:03:36
File 'Drivers\PXHELP20.SYS': Ver=2.02.62a, size=20016 bytes, created 28-10-2003 12:02:00 (Prassi/Veritas driver for win 2K)
you have 2 potential conflicting burning drivers installed; one is the Roxio burning engine, the other one Prassi/Veritas; uninstall the related software and check the log file again; e.g. have a look at this thread: http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?p=237302

the other problem is Adaptec's ASPI v4.71; the link above helps you too, to get rid of it;

And the strange thing is that there's nothing about this in my log from Nero. Is this because I killed everything?
the log is stored only when the burning process ended, not when cut off;

sabje26

I've got rid of the drivers and installed the latest Aspi driver as you said, but it also didn't work and Nero didn't see both of my dvd burners anymore, so I restored everything. I also changed the settings, but it still didn't work.

I've noticed that everytime when I have problems, it's with DVD-R, + is working fine. So I guess I'm gonna buy a couple of spindles of DVD+R, and only burn on R.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

sabje26 said:
I've got rid of the drivers and installed the latest Aspi driver ...
no, i didn't say "latest ASPI"; my link above points you to version 4.6 build 1021 which is surely not the latest but still the most recommended one; :)

... but it also didn't work and Nero didn't see both of my dvd burners anymore,
seems you have to apply Ahead's Clean Pack http://www.ahead.de/en/631938356417810.html after removing the extra drivers;

however if it works now and you are happy with +Rs, then leave it as it is for now;

sabje26

Oops, my mistake :rolleyes:

Yesterday I made a couple of DVD+R's, and they all worked!!! So I guess I'm only gonna burn on + from now on, it's much better.