Lite-on 52327S CD/RW not recongized as CD-writer (only as CD-ROM). Please help

James_D

Hi,

I have just bought a Lite-On LTR-52327S cd-writer. I have installed it in my machine but Windows-98 only recognizes it as a CD-ROM, and none of the cd-writing packages recognize it as a CD-writer.

I have set it as the master on secondary-IDE, setting my other CD-ROM to slave. I have tried using the Nero Express that came with the device but it does not recognize the drive as a CD-writer either.

Do i need a driver since i am using Win-98 and not XP/2000/ME? It is using the standard MS driver which i believe is correct.

I have read that i might need a firmware update, but the drive was manufactured in January 2004 so its brand new.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

James

James_D

Hi PC Guy, thank a lot for your reply.

No i've not installed any ASPI drivers, i didnt realise that i needed to :)

I just thought that i could plug and play, but i've realised its not quite as easy as that!

I will follow the link that you gave and see if that helps.

Thanks,
James

James_D

Hi, I have check my PC and ASPI was already installed (v4.56). I used ForceASPI to update it to v4.60 but the problem is still the same. :(

Nero-4 recognises the drive as an 'image recorder' but when i ask it for disk-info and a blank CD is inserted, it doesnt give any information at all (not even to say its blank). Nero-Express that comes with the cd-writer is the same, and easy cd-creator does not recognise the drive at all (mind you, it is quite an old version!).

Also, when in Windows Explorer the cd-writer acts fine as a CD-ROM but it does not read most previously burnt CDR's (both audio and data ones), but i have heard that this drive sometimes has problems like this(?).

Its all a bit confusing! Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
James

The old Nero and Easy CD Cremator are non-starters for a recent drive - but that still leaves the EXPRESS that came with it.

That's a lot of software pollution there, so it may be down to some clean-tools - I hope you haven't thrown an old version of DirectCD into that mix as well?

The Nero "image recorder" is definitely NOT your burner- it is just a virtual burner, which creates .nrg images- no relation at al with the real life device you have in there.
Your problem seems at first stage to be either defective or completely missing busmaster drivers. At second stage, your pronblem is simply called "that damn bloody Windoze 98".
Install the latest bundle of busmaster drivers for W98 which serve your mainboard, activate DMA for the drive (through device manager) and report back

James_D

Hi,

No i havent got DirectCD in there. As you say, theres lots of pollution there, I think as this weekend i will wipe it all off and just install the latest Nero and give it a go and see if the drive is recognised.

Yes i thought the "image recorder" description looked a bit iffy! :D What are busmaster drivers? Are the drivers that come with the motherboard? I hope i have a CD for it as i built my own PC. I will certainly locate them and give that a go too. I have already checked and DMA is set for the drive.

Thanks for your replies, i will put your suggestions into practice and get back to you.

Thanks again,
James

James_D said:
What are busmaster drivers? Are the drivers that come with the motherboard? I hope i have a CD for it as i built my own PC.
IDE busmaster drivers are often included in the chipset driver package;
these drivers usualy came shipped at your motherboard's driver CD;

but better is downloading the latest version from MB fabricators homepage;

Greetings from
Duracell

Duracell said:
IDE busmaster drivers are often included in the chipset driver package;
these drivers usualy came shipped at your motherboard's driver CD;

but better is downloading the latest version from MB fabricators homepage;
Or the CHIPSET fabricator, where they may be even more recent, some MB makers are very lax in updating their driver packs - though in some instances, it may be a case of going with what works.

James_D

Problem solved :D

I tried it on my parents Win-XP machine it worked fine, but they had the latest Nero6 too.

So i installed Nero6 on my machine and it recognises the drive! Woo hoo. Its still a bit odd it does not get recognised by the Nero Express that actually came with the cd-writer, and that the drive doesnt read some older burnt CDRs in Windows Explorer but guess i'll just have to live with that...

Anyways, thank you all for you help it was much appreciated.

Cheers,
James