Linux and windows next to each other

Help!!
Can anybody help me with my problem. I want to work with Linux and learn a lott a have heard a few thinks and have already try'd some things on my machine but unfortunely I need a lot of windows application for school like:
- Microsoft Visio
- Office
- Visual studio's

So I have try'd to install Windows2000 and Mandrake Linux 8 next to each other, but I can't get it to work.:confused:
Can somebody help me?

I think this is asked before (sorry) but I can't find a good solution for it can somebody help me................................ (THX)

a newby

I'm not the expert you need, but there are a couple of possible solutions:
* Dual install : you install both, and boot to what you need - in different partitions, of course. Easiest and obvious solution.
* VMWare : let's you install and run one OS from within the other. I have little experience, but it seems to work extremely good from linux to windows. Similar idea, but not so favorably rated are Win4Lin and Virtual PC.
* WINE : emulate the windows apps from linux
* CrossOffice : let's you install & run Office (and some other apps) from linux.

I think that the best idea is to start with the first solution, and move to the others as you acquire experience with linux.

_http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netadmin/0,39006400,39048805,00.htm

replace redhat with mandrake.

The fault i get

I installed like you said first windows and then linux with lilo boot
and then I getted the problem that I can't start Linux but you answered my question already good so thanx I appreaciate this answere and give it a try tonight.;)

thx it all works now great

I want to thx the guys how helpt me great with this problem.
I have last night try'd the tips you told me and it all works now.

Now I can experience Linux without problems.

Thx form a happy user