Lg Dvd burner issues

butthead2003

Hello.
I recently purchased and installed an Lg GSA-4040B Dvd burner in my win xp machine. It is set up as a master on the secondary ide (old cd burner is set as slave on same ide). Windows sees it as a cd drive but none of my apps (Roxio, Nero Dvd) see it as a burner. It can be a RAM disc, installed the driver but I set the porperties to "record cd's" in the drives properties which disables the RAM disc function. I'm confused because win xp sees it but not the apps ? :confused: Here is the specs on the burner : http://us.lge.com/Product/proddetail.do?action=computer&prodId=GSA4040BI&categoryId=020206
Help please.
Thanks

SaintEx

Sorry, I definitely am not able to offer help here.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem, only with a LG GSA-4081B. :(

butthead2003

on going LG Dvd burner issues

Thanks for checking my post, at least I'm not alone. :eek: I'm surprised that no has offered a solution as I see I'm not the only one so I hope for both our sakes that some knowledgable person helps us out eventually.
Cheers.

butthead2003 said:
... but none of my apps (Roxio, Nero Dvd) see it as a burner.
get the latest free update for Nero here: http://www.nero.com/en/updates.html
your drive seems to bee supported since 5.5.10.43, don't know about Nero 6;

just as explanation: if the software is older than your drive, the software cannot know your brand new toy; this means "no supported drive" in programmers language;

Greetings from
Duracell

butthead2003

Well getting rid of software is something I don't mind doing ....... but have you got a suggestion as to what I should replace it with ? What I want to get around to doing is backing up my fave dvd movies so I don't use originals and create dvd's from avi or mpeg files.
:confused:

butthead2003

:) Thanks Duracell, I have some reading and downloading to do. I always appreciate the info from you folks, there is such a wealth of knowledge in forums like this. It helps to ease the frustration of trying to figure out what to do when things go wrong. Now do you know anything about coping with young teenage sons ? ;)
Thanks again.

Crazycnuk

Check your ribbon cable as well

Hey all,

If the software still doesn't recognized the drive then you should check to see how many conductors your IDE interface(Ribbon) cable has.

I was having similar problems with my lg-4081b where windows recognized it and other programs wouldn't.

I found out by trial and error that my ribbon cable was only a 40 conductor (wire) cable. Once I switched it to an 80 conductor cable it was recognized by both nero and roxio programs.

Hope this helps.

the cable thingy is weird because with ONLY ROMs/Burners on an IDE cable the 40 wire lead seems to work best <> conversely on an IDE with fixed drives the 80 wire seems better!

Well,you got roxio and nero on same os,and if you got packet -writing enabled youre definetly in trouble,also disable imapi-its a must.Imapi is a xp embedded burning""problem"".WHEN YOU FINISH THAT REBOOT AND RUN nero checker which will fix registar if any problem is still there.But really if you had a roxio installed,i would format the drive-no joke ;)

I believe that this particular drive needs a special patch (provided by Hitachi/Lucky Goldstar) to be properly recognized as a burner, and also enable its special DVD-RAM burning abilities. I don't have the drive, so I cannot be sure, but I've heard about this very issue before about all -RAM enabled drives.