LG 4040B Speed probs

urjoking

Along with its other shortcomings my LG4040B is now burning at only 2x even when Nero6.0.0.9/DVDshrink3.1.4/UleadMovieFactory say it's burning at 4x. When it should have finished at around 15mins the indicator says it has no time left but the progress bar is only half way across. It's taking about 29 mins to do a dvd-r.
It has been burning @ 4x until recently (although it's extremely fussy about the media I use) It's always had unexplained intermittent write errors that disappear after a hard reboot.
It's not the media because I tried various brands including $5 TDKs recommended by LG.
Any ideas before I think of a creative way of smashing it to pieces?
(I'm running an xp2100 512mb ram ample drive space windowsxp) :confused:

urjoking

not sure

roadworker said:
Is DMA enabled for your drive?
I'm not sure. Does that show up in device properties?
It's drive 0 on the secondary ide/atapi and is showing PIO mode
(device 1 a dvd rom player is set to ultra dma mode 2) is this where it needs to be changed?

Last edited:
urjoking said:
I'm not sure. Does that show up in device properties?
It's drive 0 on the secondary ide/atapi and is showing PIO mode
(device 1 a dvd rom player is set to ultra dma mode 2) is this where it needs to be changed?

Yep...change it to DMA and probably your problem will be gone..:)

urjoking

roadworker said:
Yep...change it to DMA and probably your problem will be gone..:)
the LG 4040b (device 0) is using the option 'DMA if available' but underneath next to current transfer mode it says 'PIO mode'

the dvd rom player (device 1) has 'DMA is available' selected & underneath the current transfer mode is Ultra DMA mode 2

If I change that one to pio will that help or should I look at the bios settings?

thanks for your help on this it's been driving me nuts

Last edited:
urjoking said:
the LG 4040b (device 0) is using the option 'DMA if available' but underneath next to current transfer mode it says 'PIO mode'

the dvd rom player (device 1) has 'DMA is available' selected & underneath the current transfer mode is Ultra DMA mode 2

If I change that one to pio will that help or should I look at the bios settings?
Check your cables and your master/slave settings for both drives...something is wrong,because your drive is running in PIO while DMA is selected....and yes,you can check your bios also to see if autodetection settings are enabled for your drives..

urjoking

fixed

roadworker said:
Check your cables and your master/slave settings for both drives...something is wrong,because your drive is running in PIO while DMA is selected....and yes,you can check your bios also to see if autodetection settings are enabled for your drives..
I checked all those things and updated the firmware to version 302 which is available on LG's Australian site and the drive is behaving itself,.. for now.

Thanks for all your help, you are a legend!