Keeping your internet connection live

I'm busy downloading SuSE 9.0 from their FTP site, and this will take me approx. 10 hours. This provided that I can keep my internet connection going for so long. I'm on Adsl 256k. Does anybody know of a software, preferibly freeware which can help me keep my connection live for so long? :confused: :confused:

Either way if you download with a ftp client or with a download manager..there is a option which you can make a default that app connects to net automatically for you if it disconnect...I would recomend smartftp or flashfxp for ftp clients..Both can work as a freeware with one nag screen at start....and they wont expire..For download manager i would recomend flashget or netransport..Im using netransport muself and its a excelent download manager..If you are interested to try any of those appz,check the search button,they were all posted more then few times :) ..Still,i have a dsl myself and my provider never disconnects me..i think disconnections was more common for modems....Anyway..with those appz you should be safe to download whatever you want..Good luck.. :)

If it doesn't allow the activity to keep you connected, nothing else you do would make any difference.

Are you sure you're doing it right anyway? - I thought SUSE didn't offer an offline download, but only a FTP install which they say will NOT make an offline installer - unless you make your own FTP so you can do local FTP installs.

SuSE 9.0

Thanks for your replies. I'm not using an ftp client, and I'm not using a download accelerator either. So far the dowload is going o.k. A litte than I thought it would be.

I've downloaded SuSE 8.2 inthe past in the same way, but got disconnected a few times and had to restrt the download.

As for the SuSE download, yes it is availabe, and the only thing is that they won't provide iso images of the cd's. That would have been sweet. Instead you have to download 3GB+ to a directory on your hdd, burn it to a dvd, and get the installation started by using floppies. The boot images for the floppies are included in the downloaded package. Since this is a free download, I don't think it will do any harm if I provide the link here. Here goes: ftp://ftpsolnet.ch/mirror/SuSE/i386/

Well, everything seems to be going o.k. If my three year old twins keep their dirty little fingers from my keyboard I should be o.k. :p :p

Thanks again for your input zver and LTR12101B. :cool:

kibaima said:
Thanks for your replies. I'm not using an ftp client, and I'm not using a download accelerator either. So far the dowload is going o.k. A litte than I thought it would be. ...
a good FTP client is able to continue an aborted download at the disconnecting point;
i would recommend TotalCommander (http://www.ghisler.com) with a native FTP client; or WS_FTP (http://www.ipswitch.com/products/WS_FTP/index.html) as FTP client only;

Greetings from
Duracell