Kanotix

This is a Linux Live CD based on KNOPPIX technology using mostly pure Debian/sid.
KANOTIX BUG HUNTER 05/2004 is out now (23.04.2004)! This time the complete distro is based on Debian/sid (even XFree) - optimal for HD Install! Most of the drivers have been updated and new hardware is supported like Tekram DC395. New Kernel 2.4.26 (has already XFS) with some patches. The latest Debian XFree 4.3.0-3 (bugfix release) is included.

http://kanotix.com/info/index.php

http://kanotix.com/files/kanotix/

And it works better than Knoppix.... :cool:

schwedenmann

Kanotix Bug Hunter 5

Hallo

@denexo
new hardware is supported like Tekram DC395.

was already in release 4, yet Knoppix 3.4 is missing this feature.

In my Opinion it is better than Knoppix 3.4, exept for the kernel 2.6.5 in Knoppix (the first version hangs at the scsi-probing, but should have already fixed in the 2. version (1 week later)).

The Sound system when Kanotix is started with alsa, works very fine with my Terratec DMX, in Knoppix 3.4 I have no sound !

schwedenmann

schwedenmann said:
In my Opinion it is better than Knoppix 3.4, exept for the kernel 2.6.5 in Knoppix (the first version hangs at the scsi-probing, but should have already fixed in the 2. version (1 week later)).

The Sound system when Kanotix is started with alsa, works very fine with my Terratec DMX, in Knoppix 3.4 I have no sound !

schwedenmann
No, it hasn't corrected the problem... it still segfaults here when modprobing a Promise TX-2 100 IDE controller. Loading the driver by hand at startup doesn't help either. It starts normally only when booted with a -noscsi switch, but then it doesn't mount any drive hooked on the IDE controller.
ALSA works here, but that's not too important.
BTW it does work fine on two another computers with different IDE config, and also works OK with a SATA drive.
Kanotix is simply stuffed with all sorts of bugs (quite natural- it's a SID branch), I would not trust it for any serious task.

schwedenmann

hallo

@scarecrow wrote:
No, it hasn't corrected the problem

I only heared in a forum that this problem was fixed, sorry, I only have testet Knoppix 3.4

@scarecrow wrote:
I would not trust it for any serious task.

Yes i too, but this includs all Live-Linux- CD. For my they are only testplatforms for geinners, who want to take a look at Linux without installing it on a hdd, especially with MS on it.
For real working a prefer Linux on hdd (I use Debian Sarge, along with Suse 8.2 and Mandrake 9.1).

schwedenmann

"Sarge" is way more trustee that "Sid". BTW the most trustee Live CD I have tried (out of many) is the PCLinuxOS liveCD (dated back in January), based on Mandrake 9.2, which works just fine for all my puters.

Also worth a glance is the Vector Linux LiveCD (based on Slackware 9.0), which is flawless... but it is not a "complete" liveCD, some recovery tools are missing.