iVideoMAX Video Converter

just found class software to make xvid/divx back to avis/mpg/mepg2 think has some other functions

http://www.ivideomax.com/

i was going to convert some using chickenmans guides but when i do it always crashes so looked for other options

if you convert avi(xvid) to mpeg it gets very blocky but did try avi(xvid) to avi

i have never let it finish yet since dont know how big in gig/meg size a 1hour uncompressed avi will be but seems to make very easy since one a avi there are other tools to make a mpeg for dvd creation

AVI(XviD) to AVI(RAW) is pretty pointless. Can do basically the same thing instantly with no real increase in size using AVISynth. Then if the program can't handle AVISynth scrips you can use MakeAVIS to create a fake AVI. Could also just use the original AVI.

Size of RAW AVI's is pretty easy to calculate. 24bits per pixel which is 3bytes. Pixels = width*height, size per second = fps * framesize. Can do the same for the audio. Can tell you without doing any calculations that it would be pretty big.

video: (720*576*3*25)/1024^2=29.66MB/s=104.28GB/hour
audio (48000*2*2)/1024^2=0.18MB/s=659.18MB/hour

So yeah assuming your HDD's are completely empty and that the source is PAL DVD res then you have space for around 2.5 hours.

well mine are not might have too look at it again and see if i can change to better format that dont go so blocky

there option to save as differant types of avi would that be way to go then ?

not sure what avi's it offers and not at that pc just now

Can't really see any point in resaving as an AVI. It would I would imagine offer any AVI compression that you have a VFW codec installed on your system for.

If you were to resave as an AVI then you would probably want to choose a lossless codec. This would give you a smaller AVI than the RAW one without any loss. Infact you could save space (50%) simply by outputting raw YV12 instead of RGB24. 12bits vs. 24 and DivX, XviD, etc. are YV12 anyway so there would be no loss in quality.

If the program can't do a decent job of encoding mpg's then I would suggest you just try a different program.

You could for instance use FitCD to create an AVISynth from your AVI, then encode that to an MPG using Nic's QuEnc. The audio you would have to do seperatly.