Interesting ZoneAlarm discussion

Vicious so-and-so's! Why am I no longer surprised when I read about important softs companies being involved in this behaviour? Microsoft could never surprise me by what it did [the thing Microsoft has done that surprised me most was that it released a functional, stable, streamlined operating system -- Windows 2000. Of course, it couldn't be satisfied selling such a fundamentally high quality product, so it added bloat-ware, bugs and reg numbers and called it XP]. I remember when Zone Alarm was the best 'freeware' soft firewall on the market. I can even remember when Norton Utillities was the best maintenance and repair program for dos and Win 95. It's obscene how arrogant and greedy these companies have gotten.

I know the posts are quite old but it's still interesting discussions. Even if this discussions are old and the bad ZA behaviour isn't news ZA still spy on its users. When ZA is installed it also add a file called vsruledb.dll that call home addressing lockup.zonelabs.com even after the reg key is validated. What worse is that this file is added with the freeware version as well although home-calls isn't needed for this version what so ever.

LaZorMan

Well then it seems they have either changed the name of this file or removed it. I don't use ZA anymore and therefore I can't tell what is real these days. The file was used in version 3.1.395 and there was also a patch released for this sh..t.

LaZorMan

The discussion is very old indeed, but ZoneLabs were found guilty of such practices on numerous occasions.
Fortunately enough the web is full of good firewalls, one does not have to use theirs- which hardly is the best or close to the best today, in any case.

I'm a fairly happy Agnitum Outpost user - www.agnitum.com

They do seem to have got themselves into a a similar position to Lavasoft, with aggro over a long-expected update version - even the FREE version, includes ad-blocking and other tricks.

I checked this all out, and boy there were alot of posts. i was aware of what was going on with this long ago and I am here to tell you, it isn't over.

So coming from a Network Admin, I offer this piece of information for everyone to consider.

The only completely secure network connection is the disconnected one.