Installing 2 Scsi PCI Adapters on the same PC?

Is there any reason this shouldn't work? I'm getting access to one of the new Adaptec U320 Dual channel pci cards. I've already got one of their older SCSI adapter cards (AHA-2940UW) for running SCSI Wide and Ultrawide periperhals.

What I figured I'd try is to put the harddrive (Cheetah 15K) on the U320 Adapter and the Plextor CDRW and CDROMs & Toshiba DVDRom on the old Scsi adapter. The thing is, both of these adapters are bootable, so do you guys think there's going to be any interference between the adapters during POST? Is anybody here doing something like this already? Thanks for looking.

Yes I did it OK, I can't remember all of it but the CD-R and CD-RW drives went on the fastest SCSI card and two hard drives plus the internal Zip are on the other.
Go to the Utilities Ctrl + A to make the drive you want to boot, mine boots from the SCSI hard drive for the Windows 98 SE partition. The FS drive on mine is not a SCSI but a virtual CD drive.

Attachments

Many thanks, Geoff. Just the fact that you've got it working leads me to believe that it shouldn't be a serious problem -- and if it should be a prob, I'll know there's somebody on these boards I can appeal to for help ;)

Cheers. I'm using an Adaptec 39160 with the seagate drive, two plexes and a toshiba dvdrom, so I get your meaning about using the Cntrl-A function to set boot device in the Adaptec Scsi bios. Thanks!

If both Adaptec cards use CNTRL-A, which one takes it?

I vaguely recall that if you have TWO THE SAME - it only loads the BIOS from the first one - with two SCSI cards, plus some other stuff, the upper memorm map may get a bit crowded - this can upset Creative soundcards!

Heavens! Upset Creative Soundcards! -- I remember about three years ago when I still had a Creative Live! card and it seemed like sudden movements and saying "Driver update!" in a threatening way were all it took to get it droning with fear. 'Moved on to a Santa Cruz and haven't had a driver problem since.

Thanks for your input LTR, I'm hoping that the SCSI bios will run successively and give me an opportunity to enter first the one and then the other. Maybe I'll have to fiddle with them to get some arrangement worked out. . . .