I need to purchase a dvdburner/cdburner.

HiBob

So, as the title reads I need to buy a dvdburner/cdburner, I want a cdburner that can burn all the protections and I also want a dvd burner that can burn all the dvd's which I own (for backup). I would also like this drive to have dvd /regoin free capability so that I can watch which ever dvd I would like....the main importance of this drive is that I can
A) backup dvds I own (are there different dvd versions? I heard there was +/- or something?)
B) That I can backup games that have write protections, which I own.

I have heard that lite-on makes some drives that can do some of the stuff mentioned above, can anyone inform me of what I need to buy......many many thanks in advance for a detailed response,

Regards,

Bob.

HiBob
Well to start off with there the cost of the burner how much do you intend to spend on 1 and where abouts in the world you live?
Now at this moment in time theres no burner that can copy all protections to data, and if there is you may not have a true 1:1 or working copy of the disk.
Burners...Pioneer is a good starting point look out for the A06 OR 106 theres a A07 just being released which by all accounts writes ture 8x to DVD MEDIA.Also the Lite-on LDW-811S or the new Lite-on LDW - 451S these trend to be cheap to buy but does the job and can reads/write a lot of protection with the right software.
As for programs may burners come with software so please try these software with the drive before you start spending money on more software to which you may not need.
The freeware software are to a good choice.
It's a hard statement to say that this drive is better then taht drive like wise with software.
My best advice is to read Tutorials on dvd, game backup and these guides also give you links to software to use.
The list of dvd burners goes on and on likewise with software :)
Try and get feed back from friends and forums and websites.....Almost forgot DVD media some drives love cheap and nasty media others don't just try and buy a brand listed by your burner support.
Good luck in your quest.

I would also say software to look out for from my point of view to name some are Alcohol 120%, DVDStripper, DVDShrink, RecordNow Max v4.5, DVD Decrypter, Burnatonce 0.99 and Clonyxxl v2.15 and Alcoholer the list could go on and on... ;)

HiBob

I guess the question now is, is the lite-on dvdrw/cdrw burner a good dvd burner drive? Will I have problems with reading the discs in my dvd player (for tv)? Will the discs be the same quality as the originals? Does this depend on the player (and how it writes?) or the disc that you buy?

so many questions.....

thanks in advance for an answer.

-Bob