I`m moving to the USA

Hi guys.

Dont know if this is the right place to post this or even if any one will be able to answer my question, but here goes, as you`ll no doubt guess I`m moving to Tulsa USA from the UK in a couple of months time, what I want to do if possibe is take my HDD with me to put in a machine I will build over there, and put another HDD in the machine i have over here before i sell it, will this work? is the power supply the same to the HDD in the USA?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

No problems doing that, did the exact same myself.
Mobo, hard drive, CD drives, floppy, memory....everything. Bought a new tower and PSU, build it, works just fine.

....DreeM :)

Master

Gold Member
is the power supply the same to the HDD in the USA?
Yes, inside it is all the same...the only difference is the setting of the psu.

You have to switch it from 230 european VAC to American 120/130 VAC..maybe in England it is the same as in the US
;)

MOST if not all good quality P.S.U.'s are dual voltage !? well at least the ones ive bought and fitted to quite a few systems come as DUAL they have a switch built in that allows 110/230volts for both EUROPE and outside EUROPE :) but to make sure you can always ask your supplier :)

alternatively just remove the power supply and replace it with one you buy there this would save you ripping all your components out and rebuilding completely :)

dx

"Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...."

So we will have an Oakie in the group now, eh?! A close friend is from Oklahoma. Nice place, but the accents might take a little to get used to. ;)

You could bring your whole system over here if you wanted to, just toggle that PSU switch to 115VAC and you would be good to go.

But the standard Hard Drive uses the same voltage. They use the +5V and +12V voltage lines of your PSU. Same here in the US as well as the UK (and everywhere else). The only difference is how much power they consume..... 7200rpm IDE is 5–20W while the 10,000rpm SCSI is 10 – 40W.

Just pack that HD very well when you bring it over. Lots of foam around it should be enough to protect it. But to be safe you should back up the data on to CDR's, just in case it's critical data.

Of course, be sure to bring a standalone DVD player that is 110/220VAC autoswitching (Daewoo players do). Or you could buy a cheap APEX in the US that has a P/N (PAL/NTSC) switch to watch your UK DVDs on a US TV...

All other appliances won't work either unless they can be switched to 110VAC (Transformers cost a bit to step-up the voltage - if you live near a US Military base, maybe someone will sell you a 220-110 step-down transformer that you can rewire to a step-up).

Thanks for all your help guys.

Think i will back up the HDD as zver suggested just in case, and take the drive with me.

dxkim, I have been out a few times to Oklahoma with my work, now they asked me to move out there so the accent is ok, also found that the Oklahoma girls like a British guys accent ;) this time i go out though, my wife comes with me :(

Once again thanks for all your help and advice.