I have actually lost my XP key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't beleive it, I pride myself on keeping logged all my cd keys for my apps. I have XP Home edition for a computer made by Compaq. It's not an OEM version. It is an actual retail version that was offered at a discount as an incentive to buy the computer. Buy the computer now and X number of months later Compaq will give you XP Home at a discounted price ($30 bucks if memory serves me correctly).

Anyway, making a short story long. What do I do? Call Compaq or Microsoft?

well you can get a number that way--but for rebate you NEED TO HAVE copy of receipt,when the purchase was made.....:( only if you bought it on a cc(so you can get a statement from credit company)!!

@Wedge how can you 4get about Jellybean. And I'm not talking candy bro..svgusta has giving you a very good tool.
Note
B4 use disable you firewall B4 use Jellybean, as it might not id your xp key if its on. ;)

Thanks for the key retreiver guys, but I did not mention the actual problem at its current state:

I have reinstalled windows and I am at the point in setup where I need to enter the cd key. I can't use a key finder at this point.

It's my dad's machine. I don't keep up with his software, so when I told him I would reformatt his drive to clear up some problems, I didn't anticipate that the XP Home cd would be nearby, yet the key would not. I don't even know if his XP cd came in a double-folded card-type holder (inside a big box) like mine did, i.e., I don't even know what type of package his XP cd came in so I don't know what to look for.

What to do?

dx

Believe it or not M$ can be nice in situations like this. This happened to a friend of mine with XP Home last year. He called M$ and they asked him to send his original Win XP Home disc (the one with the hologram). Once recieved M$ verified it (that it was not a forgery) and sent him a new one with a new serial. It took about 2 weeks turnaround though.

In the US most of the the XP Home serials are placed on the inside of the cardboard booklet you mentioned. So I can see how it was accidently ditched Wedge. IMHO, this was a stupid place to put it. On the back of a CD jewel case would have been better..... you know like they used to do. :rolleyes:

Learning form my friend's mistake, I photocopied my mother's XP Home serial and placed the CD and photocopy in a jewel case. Although I told her to keep the box with the cardboard booklet, my dad ditched it soon after. :rolleyes: But since I had the photocopy of the serial, I was not worried. ;)

Cool dx, I'll give Microsoft a call. If they give me the same treatment, 2 weeks is no problem as my dad isn't using this one for work. I really appreciate your sharing this experience. Now, at least, I have some hope :)

Unless you purchased the OS after buying the PC, the usual place to find the key is on the back of the computer Case.

On the other hand if you built your own system, then the key can be on the CD-ROM packaging(OEM)for sticking onto the case etc, or on the booklet(not sure about retail cd key placement).

Theres another one to

ITs called XP key finder. But Ive heard of jelly bean But Mine is a purchased xp but I guess it would be nice to have around in case like his.

@ Wedge understand your problem now bro...
If you got your own copy of XP install using you XP key details, to get you dad PC up.
Once up and running you can later change your dads key details to his new one from Microsoft....(if they give you one)
Here you find steps on how to do this very easy to....How to Change the Product ID in Windows XP.;)

PS@driftonin the key view products will not work in this case read above.

RASTABT

Thanks for that bro!! I might as well do that as it will probably be much quicker!! Thank you!!!

Master

Gold Member
@The poacher

didn´t you see the xp keybuilder posted by metalhedplate ??

Is warez allowed again ? :p ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.