i hate ati drivers

when i install the ati catalyst driver (on win xp pro 2600 sp1)an error message saying cant find inf driver pops up shortly followed by a message telling me to make sure the standard vga drivers are installed.the question is how do i install the standard vga drivers? :confused: anyone know what i can do?

Do driver update process and select generic vga driver.

I'm not sure that this will fix your problem though. The vid card ought to install at a basic vga level by default (windows will run at low resolution and will prompt for the drivers for new video adapter). Make sure you uninstall any previous video adapter software in 'add/remove programs'. Run the ATI video driver program & the control panel program, allowing them to install to their default directories. Cross fingers.

Go to ATI website and download and install the latest drivers for you card. Follow the directions EXACTLY as they are written.

thanks but i cant install the standard vga driver. if i knew where it was located maybe but without... theres no other way (believe me i have tried all the obvious solutions)

Standard VGA is the same as Generic video driver, it comes with windows and every graphic card works under it. When that's installed then you use ati's drivers. Worked for me

Kagartoe said:
thanks but i cant install the standard vga driver. if i knew where it was located maybe but without... theres no other way (believe me i have tried all the obvious solutions)

After downloading the newest drivers for your card, you can use the Control Panel to uninstall your ATI drivers. Do not restart yet. Browse your "C:" drive for the ATI folder that the cd created when installing the drivers and delete them.

If you're still having problems,go to Control Panel>System>hardware>devices.Look for display adapter and uninstall,then reboot.Windows should install a VGA driver then.Then continue with the ATI installation.Hope this helps. ;)

To sum up !

1). (Skip this if already uninstalled)
Uninstall your current ATI display driver. Do this by going into your control panel and running add\remove programs.
Choose yes when it asks if you would like to uninstall.
Choose no when it asks to reboot.

2). Delete the Ati folder under C:\.
Remove any leftovers with drivercleaner. Do this in any circumstance to get rid of any ati driver related files on your system.

3). Reboot your computer. Windows should now load with default VGA drivers.(if not go to 4, if yes got to 5)

4). Go to Control Panel\System\hardware\devices. Look for display adapter and uninstall. -> reboot.
If windows still cant find it pop in your xp cd and choose update driver in the hardware devices\display adapter, choose search and check the search cdrom option(if your connected to internett you could also try windows update). Let it finish -> reboot.

5). Install the new ati drivers, -> reboot

:)