I broke my LITEON! :(

I have a LiteOn LTR-40125S which I brought the day it locally hit the streets. G8 drive and the only complaint is that it can be a tad noisy.

BUT even though I made a few Firmware updates....it never missed a beat. Then I made the FATAL MISTAKE of doing a HACKED Firmware upgrade that was suppose to change it from a 40X to 48X.

Software listed it as a 48X drive...and it seemed to work. But before the day was over....it DIED COMPLETELY!

Even when I flashed the older 40X Firmware and even the original version of the Firmware....it still wouldn't work.

Just want to send out a big warning to other people to steer clear from this hacked firmware upgrade.

In my case.....I need to buy a new LiteOn Recorder as my computer dealer had done a runner, even though it was under warranty.

Hey Fearless Fly, Don't feel so bad. Now you can celebrate the new 52x24x52x that your going to get next:)

That's true. This is the first time I've heard somebody's drive gone dead after the firmware upgrade.

?????????

had u tried to use the program mtkflash. what version of firmware had the unit? there is 2 versions of 40125s: the one with firmware version that begins with z can be upgraded. I can send u a good version of the firmware. I made that upgrade with my unit and works fine

Last edited:
Nah....thanks for the offer....BUT I'm too afraid to try it again all for the sake of saving 5 odd seconds.

Good to hear other people had some luck with it. :D

It did in fact work once it was flashed....and I did write a couple of discs with it before it died. XP found the CD-Recorder and correctly identified it BUT it wouldn't read or write any more.

So maybe the drive was just on the way out? Anybody else had a LiteOn Recorder failure? The drive was only six month old and had probably created a couple of hundred discs. I've had yamaha/panasonics/sony/ricoh/caravelle(sharp) CD-Recorders that have lasted YEARS and have cooked more than ten times that amount of CD's. I even have a BIGASS single spin PHILLIPS CD-Recorder (the first CD-Recorder on the market) that is the size of most desktop computers....and even that old turkey still works!

I know the LiteOn is a cheap and good value for money recorder BUT is reliability an issue?