how to rip music of PC games?

What’s your preferred approach for ripping the audio -the music- of PC games?.

If seems undisputable your right to make and use your own play lists with the music you already own, meaning that to burn CD's or to fill memory sticks or whatever with the songs you like from your CD collection or any other source. And it doesn't seems different to include in that right the music of your music DVD's and why not? the music in your PC games. So I would like to rip off some great music of PC games I already own and be able to listen to it whenever I fancy.
So, what would be way to go felas?
Did try TotalRecorder with no luck, just having it installed prevented the audio to play in some games.

Last edited:
Reminds me of an old discussion somewhere on ripping MOD files (Screamtracker etc.).

With the CD/DVD bloat now, I doubt that format is much used now, but it was clever - combining a midi-type score AND the samples to play it with - I guess the xxxxTrackers are likely to become a lost art?

LTR12101B said:
With the CD/DVD bloat now, I doubt that format is much used now, but it was clever - combining a midi-type score AND the samples to play it with - I guess the xxxxTrackers are likely to become a lost art?
almost yes ... but there are still some guys making good mods ... check out http://www.modarchive.com/
some of the tracks are from old games ...
forti

Did try GameAudioPlayer but it seems to work with just some kind of old games. I'm looking something to rip off the music of more recent PC games.

Anyone has experience with some of the other software recorders like TotalRecorder, at this task?

any other working approachs?

deliplayer link proved informative, but I'm missing so much here. Aint links to the straight answer ? I'm sure these is something a lot of us may wonder how ?

I think you should try a bit harder with a total recorder..TR got a specific driver so you got to play a bit until you get it working :) ,but its a excelent solution :)

zver said:
I think you should try a bit harder with a total recorder..TR got a specific driver so you got to play a bit until you get it working :) ,but its a excelent solution :)
OK, I'll try again with TRec, if you say so. I did play with it with differents settings, and for some games it has worked for me a couple of times before. But there are some games that won't even play its audio with TRec driver installed, and I did played with its settings. I'll go check its manual and all and try once more, maybe I did missed something

Well. I tried again with Total Recorder without installing it's driver (which has an incompatibility issue with DirectSound) and managed to record the sound while the game was playing. So then maybe you can catch the music if you manage from inside the game to play the songs or music you want to and hopefully with no other game sounds over it. But that's a pretty awkward and pitiful way to do this. If the sounds are there then there should be some neater way to rip them!

Last edited: