How should I package a motherboard for sending through mail?

Actually, it is a motherboard that is being sent to me. But I am to provide my friend with the packaging materials and I do not know how I should go about this as I have never seen a motherboard packaged before.

The package has a long ways to go, so I want to ensure its safety. Can anybody give me any tips on this one?

They normally come in a bag, inside a box with foam inserts.
I would use a box and wrap several layers of bubble wrap around it so it fits quite snugly. The key is to stop any movement within the package...and make it drop proof! :D

Are the dimensions of motherboards universal? i.e., if I were to ask you the dimensions of your motherboard, would they necessarily be the same as mine?

ME AGAIN

If it was me and I did not have the oroginal protective plastic, I would wrap once w/bubble wrap, once w/tin foil then MORE bubble wrap and plenty foam (peanuts) in a larger box tha it's size.

IMPORTANT:
It it has a HEAVY heatsink it has to come off pre shipping. Which means extra gel will be needed.

Of course label it as electronic and insure it if labeled and extra protection SIGNATURE requred.

After FedEX losing a shipment it will PAY to be cautious.

A "Motherboard sized" antistatic bag is an essential first step, as ALL other likely packaging materials ten to be a static hazard.

Do NOT pack directly in foil, not unless the CMOS battery is a watch battery in a holder and is removed - a shorted lithium cell is a serious hazard.

If you have no proper antistatic packaging, paper is less risky than plastic, but still not to be recommended.

Scrunched up newspaper is a reasonable second choice bulk filler though, but it's a bit too compressible in comparison to polysyrene pellets - I've seen STRAW used, as an answer to the environmental unfriendliness of polystyrene

dx

Agreed about the Anti-static bags/envelopes. They are a wise idea when you are shipping or storing bare electronic equipment. Mailing specialty stores like MailBoxes Etc. as well as many electonic shops have them Wedge. Static Electricity can destroy a Mobo..... so a $2 Anti-static bag is worth the investment.

Outside of that, wrapping it in bubble-wrap and a good sturdy box should be more than sufficient. Make sure the Mobo is not loose in the box..... scruntched bubble wrap or newsprint is great for that.

Marking the box as "Fragile: Electronic components inside," should help the P.O. from beating the crap out of it before it gets to you.

Went to a local computer store and the owner was nice enough to give me a used anti-static bag and box that one of his motherboards came in.

I'm gonna use that, then pack the box in a larger box surrounded by some type of cushioning (maybe those styrofoam peanuts, or plain popcorn).