How do I remove needless OS functionality?

Hi,

thought I also pose a question to that tricky prob of mine here:
I absolutely want to take off, i.e. delete entirely, this damned "My Files" (dunno how it's called in the international Windoze variant, in German it's called "Eigene Dateien") folder for ever.
I already succeeded in fading it out in the Windoze explorer, but what I want is a kind of registry "clear cutting" to prevent the OS and other apps from saving new crap in it by default.
Windoze should completely "forget" about this feature.
Any ideas?

thx in advance,

foobar

It should be possible if you start regedit,
go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\SHELL FOLDERS
Try to delete the key "Personal"

Then search the registry for "my documents" or "my files". Delete all occurences of this.

This is a special windows function that the os presumes to be there. It is possible to change the path for "My.....". I would not removed it.

But you can try the way I have descibed..

God luck , and always remember to take a backup of registry before doing anything here.

Thanks for your answer!
Unfortunately, your described hints didn't solve the problem.
By deleting all registry entries containing "my files", "my documents" ("my music", "my videos" etc.) you won't get your Windoze to toss away this special folder-feature...
As soon as you reboot the system, all entries will be there, restored!
By emptying the assigned values (did that as alternative), the system will treat "my files" as an empty string "" (icon only) in future.
I would be quite satisfied if I could at least modify the default open/save path (equals "my files") for ie6, explorer, notepad, media player and the other common programs.
Any ideas for that?

That is no prob at all.
Right click my documents, properties and change the target (on win2k). If you choose to use tweak ui (one version for win95-98-NT-W2k and one for XP) from microsoft. Go to my computer, there you can change all the deaults paths for this things. Or you go straight to registry.

I have attached the tweak ui for win95-98-nt w2k
It is a simple util to tweak some of the functions in the operating system

Attachments

What about XP imbedded

Hi all..

To do a clean XP install with the programs and functions you like you need XP imbedded (me to) I have the 90 days trial everybody can order..

But the cracked version of XP imbedded is very hard to find..

I have a XP imbedded with Mediaplayer 8, in 187 MB flash that rocks *S* only 11 sek to boot.
conected to a TV with Divx codex installed in media player 8...
A nice Setop box !

If sombody have XP imbedded please let us get the link..

John