here's a funny one

masterkulgan

I have noticed the following phenomena while burning to dvds:
about half (from the center outwards) is burned with 1 color intensity and the remaining half with a different tone, and finally the remaing unburned part - now whatever is in the first part plays OK (for about 2Gb) but the second part cannot be read.
I've tried all the tricks (ASPI, Nero settings, etc.), and am willing to post my log, but not to trouble you all with that, am wondering if any body can think of something without further info?

masterkulgan

Ricoh media which is the same as is the dvd-burner, but that is beside the point.
I am wondering if it burns OK for half of the disk, why does it change the writing mode halfway?

masterkulgan

The burner is 4x maximum. The media is 1-4x. Will try the identifier, and also the lower speed setting - 1x,2x, and inform of the results. Thanks, I now have something to try out this weekend.

the answer is in your statement of burning at lower speeds :)

if you wish to burn a disk at faster speeds use better quality media :)

and the ring problem will dissapear :)

masterkulgan

Well, I found out that I cannot change the burning speed - once I insert a blank DVD - the speed setting grays out and is fixated at 4x. Ideas?

masterkulgan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:VDSPMSAB-001-001]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Interaxia AG]
Manufacturer ID : [VDSPMSAB]
Media Type ID : [001]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------burner: RICOH rw1865

Still, no luck with this, am planning on shipping it back as it is under warranty, will post when I get it back.

AFAIK Interaxia is the company formerly called Vivastar, which were forced to change their name due to licencing reasons.
Despite the swiss origin, their media are of rather poor quality, and the actual manufacturing site is obscure.