help with alsa

hi ppl
err i'm getting very frustrated & pi**ed off... i'm trying 2 install alsa on RH9 but with no success for 1 1/2 days...anyone managed 2 install alsa ?i'm using the latest stable release,0.98 ,& following the tutorial from alsa-project site 4 my zoltrix sound card...
i know zat in mdk,suse ,alsa is already installed,thus i have no probs 2 install it,but i want something else than mdk since i'm getting some annoying bugs
regards & thx ;)

serjer said:
hi ppl
err i'm getting very frustrated & pi**ed off... i'm trying 2 install alsa on RH9 but with no success for 1 1/2 days...anyone managed 2 install alsa ?i'm using the latest stable release,0.98 ,& following the tutorial from alsa-project site 4 my zoltrix sound card...
i know zat in mdk,suse ,alsa is already installed,thus i have no probs 2 install it,but i want something else than mdk since i'm getting some annoying bugs
regards & thx ;)
As you've just said,It's installed in SUSE [I'm running 9],why not switch?

need 2 get hold of it 1st....anyway think gonna return 2 mdk:(
sounds there's a bug somewhere in the kernel of rh9 which is preventing alsa from compiling correctly

Last edited:
Your card might not be supported properly with that kernel... have you tried using a newer Redhat kernel? (and hurry up, support for Redhat 9 will stop by the end of March).

it is supported,even enabled it...not tried a new kernel,had a kernel 2.5x hanging somewhere among my cds....
anyway i've moved back 2 mdk9.1 & got stuck all night since mdk accidentally busted a fat32 partition which i had 2 recover all the stuff on it ...zat busted partition appeared twice,& partition managers reported them as damaged ...

serjer said:
it is supported,even enabled it...not tried a new kernel,had a kernel 2.5x hanging somewhere among my cds....
anyway i've moved back 2 mdk9.1 & got stuck all night since mdk accidentally busted a fat32 partition which i had 2 recover all the stuff on it ...zat busted partition appeared twice,& partition managers reported them as damaged ...
Redhat and Fedora have no support at all for NTFS in their prebuilt kernels, due to obscure licencing reasons- and it seems than now after the acquisition by Novell SuSE 9.0 does the same... So you have to patch those kernels yourself to get NTFS read support. NTFS write support is STILL not recommended at all.
If you have any Windows partitions with clustersize bigger than 4 KB, mounting them during the installation with kernels up to the early versions of 2.4.18 is criminal- and 9.1 had a VERY early 2.4.18 kernel...
If I were you I would install 9.2 with all Windows partitions unmounted, and then install a newer one ASAP (2.4.22.21 is the latest one compiled by Mandrake). After that, you can use DiskDrake to mount your Windows partitions either permanently or on user request (creating a partition shortcut on the KDE desktop and clicking the icon would mount it).
I have set it like that, and even more I've made a shortcut there on a script I have made, which mounts the three Mandrake 9.2 ISO's from harddisk, so I don't need swapping any CD's when I install software or update.
What I cannot do with 9.2 is setting the Penguin Liberation Front archives as automatic update sources, but I believe this is a problem with the FTP mirrors of PLF and not 9.2.
No complains from the current mandrake status, and most of my flickering and Konqueror crash problems would be eliminated if I was using OpenGL drivers... but I compile a lot from source, and compiling in a system with OpenGL drivers is much more complex, and your builds virtually useless for anyone but you.
BTW Mandrake's ALSA does not work with an old Sounblaster 128 PCI card I've got (no probs with my main Echo Mia soundcard). OSS work pretty well, though.

Last edited:
serjer said:
thx scarecrow 4 all of ur precious info ;) now i need someone 2 lend me a copy of mdk9.2 :D
Bah, just download it... if you're on dialup it will take you three days, and another 8-9 hours to get the updates... But it works.
Installing OpenGL drivers is another thing though, you are well advised to keep another copy of your kernel to boot from Lilo/GRUB, and do the whole patching thing from the shell (as root), with no xserver running at all. Under SuSE it's trivial to install OpenGL drivers (9.0 offers this option at the end of the installation, you just have to agree to a nonsensical licence agreement...), but in general I like Μandrake 9.2 (updated!) much more than SuSE 9.0.
You might also try to make a full install of Κnoppix on your HD, but 1. you must know how to use apt-get (IMO much better than Mandrake's urpmi, which is second best- but still synergies issues are there, due to the shitty nature of .rpm packages), and either use the leatest version, or patch your kernel after that- as all Knoppix vesions but the very last one can NOT mount NTFS.
And of course Knoppix has no "live update" like Redhat/Fedora, SuSE or Mandrake...

instead of downloading myself,i'll try with my friends...by chance one can have the latest mdk ;)
my modem & my internet package won't be able 2 withstand all this download :D:D:D

Last edited:
Yeah, OK... nice to hear that your tiny island has other Linux devotees!
BTW I also live in a tiny island (much norther), and I have even set a whole Mandrake 9.1 network (with our locales- mandrake is simply unbeatable on that one...) in a business here. The ppl that had to use the workstations got horrified at first, but now they phone me and ask instructions about installing MDK in their home puters! :D