Help!!! - Restoring Firefox & Thunderbird Profiles from Backup

Fooey (only much stronger)!!! I just had to do a quick and dirty Windows reinstall over the weekend.

As I always do, I went into documents & settings\'user name'\application data\firefox and I backed up the files there: "Profiles" dir, pluginreg.dat and registry.dat. I always backup Firefox (and Thunderbird) this way, and it's never caused me problems.

I reinstalled Win2000. Then I reinstalled Firefox. Then I copied those backedup files to their appropriate places. I restarted the program, and I got none of the old settings.

I started the profile manager. The old profiles do not seem to be detected. I've renamed the old profile to 'default' and tried to open with profile manager. Each time, the prof-manager says the file cannot be opened because it's in use.

Okay, so I've done something half-assed and now it's not working. Please guys, tell me how to get this sorted out. I'll never be bad again (at least not until the next time). Cheers!

i don't have knowledge for anything beside Outlook :D, but i recommend you to check the user permissions for the backup files; might something wrong after recopying; should be "inherited from folder above" or similar;

Greetings from
Duracell

Firefox is still in heavy development. Specially the extension manager. Also, Firefox was using C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\Application Data\Phoenix for the profile location. It changed to C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox. Also, the pluginreg.dat is no more a binary file but a ascii one...

If you have problem upgrading, create a new profile and just copy the files you absolutly need to the new profile location, like your bookmarks. Resinstall extensions as old ones surely aren't working with new version...