Help for dvd newbie-please

Ok guys.got a dvd buurner finally so i ned a few hundred advices about all aspects....I know i will have to try to see what is works the best for me.but you can me guide to some general good 100% routes,kind of which are well know and works for everybody-you know what i mean :) ,and software which is reported to work good for everybody-well almost for everybody couse there is always few weird ones..mashines or users..
Pc is windows xp-p4,and burner is new aopen 16xdvd and40 r 48 cdr
1--Conversion of avi to dvd
2--Make a dvd video for a friend who got standalone
3--Put a 2-3 movies on 1 dvd
4--dvd9-to dvd5
5--How is Nero6.6 for regular data burning and multisession for dvd-i would like to keep nero as thats the only one burning thing and its allready installed.
6--Is it any problem with burning a compressed audio like mp3,ogg,mpc,aac to dvd and play from them in regular audio player like foobar or winamp??
7-What is better forMAT??+ OR -
8--When you think of media..Is it cheap ones just bad for standalones or they are not good for pc usage as well???Like if i burn a data dvd with few video files??they will always play in a pc??right??
9--When i burn a dvd for a friend`s standalone`s,is it better to make + or - ??
Which format got general better compability with standalone players??
10--Few things which i didnt mention,but you think its even more important then those 9,like can my drive do bitsetting and is actuqally bitsetting??
Also,is it any problem if i make a video file-movie- using a anydvd and nero recode and burn that as a data with nero??Couse its really a simple solution and it works perfect for me..
So generally if you can list all software which i may need..
Price is not important at all if the software is needed and good quality :)
Thanks in advance!!

1. chickenmans guide using DVD2SVCD

2. what is the source need source information first before giving correct answer :)

3. depending on format source if source is mpeg 2 svcd then use DVDLAB follow REBOOTJIM'S guide but make multiple menus with linking buttons :)

4. see CHICKENMANS guides for this or basically RIP with decrypter and use DVDSHRINK removing anything you dont need like extra languages , extras etc compress to iso and burn with decrypter or use NERO by burning to files VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS :)

5. avoid multi session DVDS wherever possible as it causes lots of problems i just grab together a dvds worth of stuff then backup in one session :) you can use nero with dvd shrink compilations or with dvd lab out put files in VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders :)

6. no problem as far as i know at all its just like playing from hard drive so long as your system isnt a 386 and 1 meg of memory ... there should be no difference then from playing back from ive not noticed any thing different :)

7. from VIDEOHELP archives
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
but some swear by +r as a more reliable format but ..... millions of us use -r with no bother at all :)

8. cheap media .. you pay for what you get sometimes they can be o.k but is it worth putting stuff on a cheap disk only to find it works in nothing at all a few weeks later !?

9. what formats does the player support !? usually -r as its cheaper media anyhow than +r there are more players capable of playing -r than +r medias :)

10. bit setting again from videohelp archives
BitSetting
For a DVD player or drive to identify what kind of disc is loaded, it queries the so called "Book Type Field" found in the lead-in section of each DVD disc. These few bits, commonly referred to as "compatibility bitsettings" tell the drive which low-level format specification does the media conform to, such as DVD-ROM, DVD+R or DVD+RW.
Most DVD players will read a DVD+RW or DVD+R disc without any problems, however a small minority of them report a disc error when a disc is loaded that is not marked as a "DVD-ROM" disc in the compatibility bits. Ususally, these players are physically able to read the disc (since DVD+RW reflectivity is identical to that of a dual layered DVD-Video disc, which all players must be capable of reading), but their compatibility problems are due to different interpretations of these bits in the various firmware versions. In most cases, the problem can be solved by updating the firmware.
as for your drive !? we need to know make and model and firmware so we can tell you :)

software DVD SHRINK , DVD DECRYPTER ,NERO ( not to everyones taste) , RECORD NOW MAX , DVD LAB ,DVD2SVCD , BURN AT ONCE should be enough to keep you going for now :)

theres lots more as you know but these tend to be the most common used :)

prices range from FREEWARE to the normal sorta price for burn software wherever you live :)

Wow thats alot to take in at one time but, you'll also learn as you go.
1--Conversion of avi to dvd
I'm sure Chickenman has you covered there with a tutorial on the forum.
2--Make a dvd video for a friend who got standalone
There a few things to consider here. Whats the source? A regular store bought dvd or a home made dv?
3--Put a 2-3 movies on 1 dvd
The best program I've used for this is dvd2one and i'm sure there are more out there by now.
4--dvd9-to dvd5
For you since your just starting I think it's best that you use DvdShrink. It's the best all around all in one dvd9-to dvd5 conversion program out,plus it's FREE.
5--How is Nero6.6 for regular data burning and multisession for dvd-i would like to keep nero as thats the only one burning thing and its allready installed.
I haven't burned a dvd data disc yet but, from my friends who have say that Pinnacle is good. Not sure about Nero. Someone else can help out on that question.
6--Is it any problem with burning a compressed audio like mp3,ogg,mpc,aac to dvd and play from them in regular audio player like foobar or winamp??
They should all play fine in the computer but, i'm not sure about aac.
7-What is better forMAT??+ OR -
9--When i burn a dvd for a friend`s standalone`s,is it better to make + or - ??
Which format got general better compatibility with standalone players??
I thought i would join these 2 together because there's defferences of opinion here. Some people say that + is better but, it's not as compatible as - and the quality is better. Some say - is better because of the compatibility. You'll have to look up you friends dvd player at dvdquality (vcdquality)and check it's compatibility there.
8--When you think of media..Is it cheap ones just bad for standalones or they are not good for pc usage as well???Like if i burn a data dvd with few video files??they will always play in a pc??right??
There are a few cheap medias out there that play fine and alot of people swear by them but, it's really a personal trial and error issue. When you first get a dvd burner you go for the cheap media and everything is fine til you have a problem then, you move on the better quality. If you want to use the cheap stuff at first to learn with thats fine but, eventually you'll move to the better media because you'll want your videos to play better and last longer. I like Ridata and Memorex.
10--Few things which i didnt mention,but you think its even more important then those 9,like can my drive do bitsetting and is actuqally bitsetting??
I'm not sure on this on(never had to do it). I'm hoping someone else will jump in and help out on this one.
Also,is it any problem if i make a video file-movie- using a anydvd and nero recode and burn that as a data with nero??Couse its really a simple solution and it works perfect for me..
Anydvd and recode are cool but, you'll end up with Vob files and you don't have to burn them as data. Nero can handle them as dvd video files in a VIDEO_TS folder.

Hope I helped a little.

Guys,you helped me so much..
I know it must have been covered,but now i got it in a one place..Thanks a lot to everybody :)