Help.Confusion Firmware

Ruthie51

:eek: I have a Ricoh Dvd+Rw Mp5240A . The Manual says to use 4x media- I have great success with Tdk media 4x. I went to store to buy some Tdk 4x- All I can find are 8x all of the sudden- I buy -open the package and it says donot use with a 4x writer inless you update firmware. I find the site to update but do not understand the directions. Will these 8x work on my Ricoh ? Is it absolutely necessary that I update firmware and if so can you explain to me how you do this ? Thanks very much for any help anyone can give me. :D

Ruthie51

Dear Mr. Poacher,
Thankyou for your help. I wiil check this out.. So, are you saying that you cannot use 8x media if your Drive says it writes to 4x ? ;)

U can use 8x but u will only get a 4x burn <> for some burners there are unofficial firmwares that can change burn speeds but no idea if there is one for your burner!

one main difference between CDR and DVDR writers is, a DVDR writer will need to have stored all burning parameters for every particular DVDR brand in his firmware;

if you buy media which your drive don't know (because it's firmware is older than the media release), then it will mostly end in a coaster;

you can update your drives firmware, so it should know how to handle your new 8x (quality) media; then you can use 8x media with your 4x drive (of course in 2x or 4x burning mode);

Greetings from
Duracell