Guide on how to convert SVCDs to DVD-R

xms3500 said:
Can anyone help me please,with a tuturial on how to convert SVCDs to DVD_R.

Thanks In Advance.
This would have to be the best method without re-encoding. But I would convert your audio to AC3 format rather than uising the SVCD's MP2 audio format for better playback compatability.

Also, if your DVD player cannot play SVCD in the first place it probably wont play these also. You need to convert one to try it out. If not then you need to re-encode them. Lots of different ways of doing that.

ChickenMan said:
This would have to be the best method without re-encoding. But I would convert your audio to AC3 format rather than uising the SVCD's MP2 audio format for better playback compatability.

Also, if your DVD player cannot play SVCD in the first place it probably wont play these also. You need to convert one to try it out. If not then you need to re-encode them. Lots of different ways of doing that.

ChickenMan,
As I am a noob I don't understand what you mean.i don't mind if I have to re-encode the movie.
Also your Guide on how to back up your DVD to DVD-R is Brilliant,thankyou very much.

Thats a problem with your DVD Player. Just re-authoring a SVCD to DVDR is very problematic, all sorts of problems. It works for many but not all. The only way for absolute playability is to re-encode the SVCD's to DVDR specs. If you put the one SVCD onto a DVDR, you will not loose any quality if you follow as below, regardless of what some people may claim.

I do a dirty trick to encode SVCD to DVDR. Rename the extracted MPG file (must be a true MPG file, not one just copied off a CDR) to VTS_01_1.VOB and get an VTS_01.1.IFO file off any DVD. Put both in same folder and follow the DVD to DVDR tutorial. One thing to change, change the CD size in the Bitrate Tab from 4400 to 2200 if there are 2 CD's or to 1466 if there are 3 CD's. Then use DVDLab or Maestro to author them and link the movie1 to start of movie2, etc. as per the link above. You may have to convert the audio from 44.1 to 48 manually using BeSweet and as always, convert the audio to AC3 as well. You will end up with a very nice DVDR.

svcd 2 dvd-r

ChickenMan... o wise one :cool:
can you please help. I used VCDgear to take the svcd file off each of the 2cd`s, put them in TMPGenc, cut&merge, but whatever I do it only gives me 5mins worth of film. What am I doing wrong?

Resize SVCD to DVD-R

Hi Chickenman,
I have a technical question about the SVCD to DVD-R conversion. What if the SVCD movies have been re-sized/cropped from the original DVD, will it still be possible to use DVDLab or Maestro to convert the SVCD to DVD-R ?

spottydog said:
ChickenMan... o wise one :cool:
can you please help. I used VCDgear to take the svcd file off each of the 2cd`s, put them in TMPGenc, cut&merge, but whatever I do it only gives me 5mins worth of film. What am I doing wrong?
Dont try Cutting and merging the 2 files, just process them both to DVD and in DVDLab link the end of the first one to the start of the second. No need for joining them anymore.

bluejay said:
Hi Chickenman,
I have a technical question about the SVCD to DVD-R conversion. What if the SVCD movies have been re-sized/cropped from the original DVD, will it still be possible to use DVDLab or Maestro to convert the SVCD to DVD-R ?
Doesnt really make any difference if the SVCD was originally resize, croped or pasturized :)D), as long as the final result is a SVCD done to svcd specs then DVDLab will convert it to DVD for you. Your DVD Player may still not like it and wont play, but thats your players problem, not the svcd or dvdlab.

ChickenMan said:
Thats a problem with your DVD Player. Just re-authoring a SVCD to DVDR is very problematic, all sorts of problems. It works for many but not all. The only way for absolute playability is to re-encode the SVCD's to DVDR specs. If you put the one SVCD onto a DVDR, you will not loose any quality if you follow as below, regardless of what some people may claim.

I do a dirty trick to encode SVCD to DVDR. Rename the extracted MPG file (must be a true MPG file, not one just copied off a CDR) to VTS_01_1.VOB and get an VTS_01.1.IFO file off any DVD. Put both in same folder and follow the DVD to DVDR tutorial. One thing to change, change the CD size in the Bitrate Tab from 4400 to 2200 if there are 2 CD's or to 1466 if there are 3 CD's. Then use DVDLab or Maestro to author them and link the movie1 to start of movie2, etc. as per the link above. You may have to convert the audio from 44.1 to 48 manually using BeSweet and as always, convert the audio to AC3 as well. You will end up with a very nice DVDR.

ChickenMan,
When you say a true MPG file ,what do you mean exactly.The SVCD file is a MPG to start with not a dat file,do I have to re-encode the file somehow?

celtic_druid said:
An SVCD MPG has a riff header same as a VCD DAT. I guess ChickenMan means an MPG without a riff header.

celtic_druid,
How do I get rid of the riff header from the MPG that I have on the SVCD?
And also what is a riff header?

Extract the MPG file off the SVCD disk as a true MPG file, not one with riff headers as C_D said.

Run IsoBuster (www.isobuster.com) highlight the AVSEQ01.MPG file and right click. Select "Extract but filter on M2F2 MPEg frames" You will soon have an MPG file on your HD.

ChickenMan said:
Extract the MPG file off the SVCD disk as a true MPG file, not one with riff headers as C_D said.

Run IsoBuster (www.isobuster.com) highlight the AVSEQ01.MPG file and right click. Select "Extract but filter on M2F2 MPEg frames" You will soon have an MPG file on your HD.

Thanks ChickenMan,I will give it ago and let you know how I go.

ChickenMan,
I have taken your advice and got isobuster and got the MPEG file on the HDD used your trick and renamed to VOB,encoded using your tut and got the encoded files after using DVD2SVCD.
The problem that I have is I dont know how to convert the audio from 44 to 48 Hz,can you explain PLEASE.
Also I would like to use DVD Maestro to link Movie 1 to Movie 2 and I don't know how to do that either,and is there any way that you can create a chapter file to use in DVD Maestro,so that the finished DVDR would be like an original backup.

Thanks xms3500.

I would also like to thankyou for being patient with me.

You use BeSweet/BeSweet GUI or even TMPGenc to convert the mp2 44.1 tp 48 khz. In TMPGenc, just load in the audio file only and select ES (Audio only). Then go into Settings and change in Audio, the Sampling Freq to 48000. Run.

In Maestro, to join the 2 movies, you need to open the Connections Tab, and find the End Action of the last Chapter of Movie1 and set the Target to Chapter 00:00:00:00 (the first Chapter) of Movie2. Set First Play to Movie1 00:00:00:00

As for chapters, just click in the Chapter line in the Movie Timeline and it will create a Chapter point there. I tend to make them 10min apart but some prefere to do it at 5min intervals. If you want the exact chapter points in the original DVD, you need to extract them from the DVD with ChapterXtracter and then manually set them at those points when in Maestro.

ChickenMan,

I said that I would let you know how I went.
Everything went well except joining the two movies together.The first part of the movie was perfect,then when it should have gone to the second part,I stuffed something up,just wondering if you could post something PLEASE with pictures explaining what to do to join the 2 movies in Maestro.

Thanks ChickenMan.