Graphics tablet

Nizmo

I have been making flash animations for about 3 years now but havnt really liked the way i drawn everything with the mouse. Im a good drawer with pencil and paper but mouse and computer is alot harder to do the right picture. Would a graphics tablet help me make my animations any better?

Nizmo said:
I have been making flash animations for about 3 years now but havnt really liked the way i drawn everything with the mouse. Im a good drawer with pencil and paper but mouse and computer is alot harder to do the right picture. Would a graphics tablet help me make my animations any better?

I would say .. CAN you draw better with pen/pencil and paper !? .... if answer is YES then i would say YES it owuld make your drawings and animations better as drawing with a pen is more natural :)

Nizmo

k is there much of a difference between picture? I dont wanna spend to much. I found thsi one Aiptek Graphic Tablet 6" x 4.5" [GT-AI6K] anything wrong with it?

Nizmo

i also wanted to know is there any headphones that have really good bass. Ive bought about 4 different headphones thinking they would have good bass but they were all around the same, hardly made a thump. i will spend anything under $150 on headphones can u find me some lol.

re: headphones ....... i would say ask to try them out in the store :)

If they say NO then look elsewhere :)

then you can judge for yourself :)

re: tablet and pen ... i would say look for reviews on the above tablet and see what people think who have bought it :)

also make sure if you intend to use it a lot then maby a larger usable surface area maby of use to you :)

Graphic tablets take a certain amount of learned skill as well. I purchased a Wacom tablet for my wife a few years ago (6 x 8 ArtZ I think). She finds it a lot easier and has better results than with a mouse. Her only comment is that you have to look up while drawing which is a little harder to control than watching your hand as you draw. It is an easy skill to learn though.

The greatest advantage with the tablet is the ability to use pressure levels. The harder you bear down, the darker/broader the marking (so long as your software is compatible). No more stopping to change between wide/dark markings and light ones as you draw. :)

Some tablets have pens that actually write on paper. What you do is tape a piece of paper on the tablet and draw as you normaly would. You would only look up to do things like access the menu, change tools or color. :cool:

Wacom is a name everyone knows in tablets, but expensive (though they do have some cheper models).

AIPTEK are the brand behind many own-brand products - Serif sell a rebadged Aiptek tablet.

The Wacom, does have some additional download tools, that can add features to some software, but the main comparison points are:

1. Size & resolution - depending on the scale you work to, you may prefer a smaller, high resolution, to a larger, lower resolution.
2. Pressure levels - useful for stroke emphasis, but unsupported in many cheaper programs.
3. Tilt - some also sense the pen tilt, though it's a difficult effect to use.
4. Pen features, the most seems to be pressure, a 2 way click bar, and an eraser end.
5. Mouse - a great space saver, though you CAN use most tablets with a normal PC Mouse, so long as you do not leave the pen on the active area of the tablet.

Nizmo

I read some articles and they the people who have bought the skullcandy headphones said theyve never heard bass like that before and said they easily overpower the expencive models of sennheiser in bass. The problem is i cant find a place to buy these headphones in australia. I dont want to order anything from another country or anything. Ebay doesnt have any australian sellers either.

Nizmo said:
I read some articles and they the people who have bought the skullcandy headphones said theyve never heard bass like that before and said they easily overpower the expencive models of sennheiser in bass. The problem is i cant find a place to buy these headphones in australia. I dont want to order anything from another country or anything. Ebay doesnt have any australian sellers either.
heres an AU online store that sells them :)

$119.00

Nizmo

kool thanks the problem is im only 16. can i send money order? and do i signup with them or something? I dont have a credit card and my mum dont trust the internet with hers.

Nizmo said:
kool thanks the problem is im only 16. can i send money order? and do i signup with them or something? I dont have a credit card and my mum dont trust the internet with hers.
EMAIL THEM and ask :)

For a good deal on tablets try eBay. I entered Wacom and found 161 listings (hey, I like the brand ;) ). There are some good deals, just read the contents carefully. Pens for tablets go for around $50 so take that into consideration on any tablet that doesn't have one. The older serial models require an AC adapter. I saw one tablet that didn't show a cord and it was a liquidation as-is (I wouldn't get that one :( ). The ones that say "Digitizer II" are actually ArtZ like mine.

Also, there are adapters to convert ADB connector (MAC) to USB (never tried it myself) starting at around $30. Drivers are available on the Wacom site even for the older tablets and they are better than what they came with. In theory it should work on a Windows PC.

Like LTR12101B said, they can be connected to a system simultaneously with standard mouse (mine is). If you realy want to mess with someone, move the pen around on the tablet while they are trying to use the mouse :D . Mine has an off switch on the tablet to prevent conflicts (don't know if newer ones have the switch or not). I had forgotten it was even there (its always on) so when it stopped working, I took it apart thinking it was broken. Boy did I feel stupid :rolleyes: . Glad it still works.

While checking eBay I saw a new tablet that has an LCD surface. You plug it into your video card and when you draw it shows up on the tablet :cool: . The problem is, bidding starts at $750 and it lists for $1,899 :eek: . Too rich for me.

One other thing, the Wacom Serial models (such as the Digitizer II a friend of mine has) will work quite satisfactorily on a USB to serial adapter.

They now use a laptop exclusively, and have a single USB cable to attach a hub with this, printer, scanner, camera lead etc.

Other serial models will probably operate on an adapter.

PS. Many pads have a transparent cover sheet, to protect an original and the pen tip while tracing.

Actually, that's another important issue, some are supplied with spare pen tips, and for others you can buy them - if used a lot, there will come a time when the pen tip will need to be replaced, if only for better feel and smoothness.

Nizmo

Alrite. I read alot of headphone reviews. The skullcandy headphones were to far away from my area. I chose these headphones Sennheiser hd212's lots of reviews say they got crushing bass on them. I thought they would be easy to find becasue they were sennheisers but i cant find them anywere. Does anyone know a shop that sells them in the Victoria Australia area preferably in Melbourne so i can get mum or dad to drive me to the shop and buy em.

google used correctly will find stuff EVERY time :)

get them here

Sennheiser HD212 Pro Headphones

Price : $129.95

$10 more than the skull crushers :eek:

search string for google was Sennheiser hd212 au retailer

brings back Results 1 - 10 of about 475 for Sennheiser hd212 au retailer. (0.20 seconds) :)

Nizmo

yeah but i heard that the skullcrushers are made cheaply and got a good chance of the speakers stop working in a couple of weeks