Graphics Software Help

On some games that i have, i have the option of choosing how i want my graphics displayed using 3d rendering.

The options are Direct X, Open GL & Software.

Which one will give me the best graphics or which one is the best as i have no idea.

Thanks.

I would think that would change based on the card and the game. So I say tell us the card you have and what kind of games you play. :)

Software rendering will be SLOW.

The choice between DirectX and OpenGL depends on the card, and on your system.

A game I have, suggests that DirectX is the best choice for most cards, while OpenGL is better for Nvidia-based cards.

However, though I have an Nvidia based card, I find the OpenGl setting to be troublesome (leaves many blank buttons in the taskbar on exit, and crashes rather too often), so I use DirectX instead.

Some other cards were notorious for having poor OpenGL drivers.

One additional interface you may see mentioned, is GLIDE - the application interface of the old 3dFX Voodoo cards - and if that's the ONLY graphics acceleration a game (old, because it's obsolete) supports, then you need to find a "Glide wrapper" or Glide emulator - normally called a "wrapper" though.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 2 with 64mb. Not the flashest card in the world i know, but it has to do untill some cash comes my way. The game i have is CSI: Dark Motives.

The system i have is AMD 2200 with 768k of ram running Windows XP.

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9563 - There's a 1.01 update for that.

The one I have is Downtown Run, also from UBISOFT - so if the same guidance still holds, I'd try OpenGL first, then DirectX if OpenGL is problematic - not sure where I saw the Nvidia/ATI split mentioned, but it does say in the readme that ATI OpenGL drivers have problems, and that some older cards are ONLY usable in OpenGL mode, and some not at all.