Got my Sony dvd writer but....

I followed Laz's tute and got to the burning bit using burnatonce - it burned all right - all of 0.8 seconds, buggering the blank. After the mastering, dvd video thing, it went through all the so many hundreds of MB to burn, yes, and yes and then after a couple of seconds "writing successful - buggerall in a few seconds ! Dunno what the hell went wrong. So...I tried to use Instant copy on something else that was only an hour. It started reading - SLOWER than the actual film !!!! Tried DVD X Copy - a kind of success i suppose, even though I dont like to see "this is a backup copy" on the start, however, while the writing was crystal clear - I didnt notice until it started that it was spreading it over TWO discs ! So my Red Dwarf attempt got all the menus and 85% of the first episode, thats all - despite over half the blank unwritten on. So I've lost 2 blanks, and no successes so far, and I'm still no wiser. I'll have another look at the tutes, as burnatonce obviously isnt up to it.

give us more details PHIL please and our experts can help more :)

what O.S. are u using what hard drive space do you have blah blah etc?!

what processor , what memory etc etc all the usual techy stuff to enable us to figure out a possible solution :)

btw did u get a DVDRW with your drive !?

If not nows the time to invest in one now and save wasted blanks until you get the art of making them perfected :)

VIPER_1069 said:
give us more details PHIL please and our experts can help more :)

what O.S. are u using what hard drive space do you have blah blah etc?!

what processor , what memory etc etc all the usual techy stuff to enable us to figure out a possible solution :)

btw did u get a DVDRW with your drive !?

If not nows the time to invest in one now and save wasted blanks until you get the art of making them perfected :)
No sooner said than....XP Home....no probs with HD space....512 mem....2Ghz P4.....no, didnt get a DVDRW it was one of them OEM things, but I do actually have one as luck would have it.(If I can find it, that is) And its a pretty good idea. :) Still utterly bamboozled. But tomorrow I'll have another look at the tutes. I'm off on the booze in a little while..... :p :D

The-poacher said:
XP are U using NTFS or Fat 32
My main drive (I have two 80gig) is split into 3 - C, D, and E. C and D are NTFS and E is Fat32. This is due to a kind of restore on E.

By the way mate - did you manage to get Record Now ! To work with your Sony ? "Cant find drive" I get. I got the same with my Lite-on 48125a. Does this software support ANY DRIVE ???? :confused:

Phil,bao doesn't support ALL dvd-burners,it uses dvdrecord.exe as engine,which is limited to a few burner types.....however,you can replace dvdrecord.exe by mr jorg shilling's prodvd.exe in bao's external folder,but the demo is limited to 1 gig files....reason that it's not standard available in bao,is because this program needs to be licensed.....license is free available,but you need to email mr Shilling to obtain it....Jamieo can't implant his own registered prodvd license for all bao users,since this is not allowed by prodvd's EULA.....

PS,if you plan to change to prodvd,don't forget to edit the burantonce.ini .....this command:UseProDVD=False has to be changed to UseProDVD=True before you can use the program.... :)

Which Sony are we discussing? I've got a DRU-500A and RecordNow Max has no problems with recognizing it.

The-poacher said:
fine with my DW-U10A
Have U got the latest px engine update

http://support.sonic.com/downloads/engine.asp

I believe its 408

& NTFS is good
Downloaded it again, same result. It may like yours, it doesnt like mine. Maybe I should run the firmware update to 500.
FINALLY found what wa buggering up Record Now. It was NERO. Discovered at 1:55am I'm off to bed now ! :eek:

Last edited:
Phil K said:
Downloaded it again, same result. It may like yours, it doesnt like mine. Maybe I should run the firmware update to 500.
FINALLY found what wa buggering up Record Now. It was NERO. Discovered at 1:55am I'm off to bed now ! :eek:
Only now I seem to have lost not only, Nero, (which I knew about and may well yet re-install) but also my dvd will no longer play DVD's (just a black screen and I cant get the DVD out until the DVD X Player is closed) this is due to Veritas DLA apparently. Is this worth the hassle ? Took Veritas DLA off and got it back.

On checking Chicken Man's tutorial my jaw hit the floor with the number of progs needed to back-up some movies seems like a dozen - and now i find that the Sony doesnt do overburning either ! Wondering should I have bothered getting this ! (Feeling v.despondent at the minute. Still getting nowhere, wasted two disks and when I have tried to follow the tutes, certain progs wont work, because it doesnt like this or THAT prog being installed, or doesnt support this writer) I'm whingeing because if I'd hung on, I could have saved ££££££'s, and I'm short of cash at the mo' and Newcastle got beat last night, and no buggers out for a drink tonight....mope whinge complain...... :( :( :(

Last edited:
Haha, so Necastle got done. Just like Collingwood here !

An old Aussie Prime Minister once quoted "Life wasn't ment to be easy", the same applies to DVD backups.

Take your time, read, read and if that fails read. Use DVDRW's only for a while untill you sort it all out. There are 100's of way to skin a cat, same with DVDR backup. The Tutes we have here are tried and tested and followed sucessfully by many but they are not the only ways. Its all like riding a bike, seams impossible at the start but once you get the hang of it, it all just happens so darn easy really.

Hang in there m8.

ChickenMan said:
Haha, so Necastle got done. Just like Collingwood here !

An old Aussie Prime Minister once quoted "Life wasn't ment to be easy", the same applies to DVD backups.

Take your time, read, read and if that fails read. Use DVDRW's only for a while untill you sort it all out. There are 100's of way to skin a cat, same with DVDR backup. The Tutes we have here are tried and tested and followed sucessfully by many but they are not the only ways. Its all like riding a bike, seams impossible at the start but once you get the hang of it, it all just happens so darn easy really.

Hang in there m8.
Good advice, mate. Just feeling a bit pissedoff at the mo. Following your tutes little by little, now cant find anywhere to download sonic scenarist. STUCK.
I'll keep toddling on, a near relative of mine also has a new dvd writer (Pioneer 106) and he's having even more problems, but he's still managed to do a few backups of his band dvd's, less than 2 hours, of course.

Had a go following the tute. Thought I had it sussed (easy to follow CM - impressed !) Only when I got to putting the movie in, it came up as "Chapter 1" not Chapter 00.00.00.00. So I thought "Here we go again. Wasted all day and nothing at the end. And sure enough when i put it into Record now it came up as 4,900 MB's and so too big to record. You can imagine what the air was like, and my blood pressure went up 25 points....... :rolleyes:
Still I'll try again. I'm having bother with scenarist too it came up with a problem or something. :confused:

Chapter 1 or Chapter 00:00:00:00 is not a problem, just play with the settings by right clicking on the Subs timeline. Not important, just make sure First play points to the VERY FIRST chapter which is right at the beginning of the movie.

As for the file being to big, suggest you check the Bitrate values again (Max, Min and Average), that you have selected the right Audio bitrate and then ticked "Do not convert audio". Then check you have selected in Encode tab, Multipass VBR and Number of passes to be 1 or higher. Do NOT select One Pass VBR or it can produce larger then dvdr sized files.

Success !!!

Success at last ! I used dvd2one to get it down to a decent size, put the collected bits and pieces into one folder VIDEO_TS and another empty one AUDIO_TS (using CM's advice) put it in the Record Now and bingo. Excellent copy too.

Last edited: