Geforce MX440 freezes system

I have a Geforce MX440 64MB DDR card and after a random time the screen turns into wierd colors and stripes, and the system freezes. I tried all combinations in the bios settings but no help.
Please any solution, Thanks.

Similar thing happened to a friend - 23.11 drivers.

It COULD be a driver issue, or the card may be poorly seated in the slot (especially the tail end).

The card may be overheating (try to keep the slot adjacent to the heatsink on it unused).

Presumably you are NOT overclocking anything?

What's the history?
Always been like it since the card was installed??
Just started doing this (so what changed recently) ??

I have the same card. No problems using any of the 4X.XX detonator series. Could it be a DirectX problem?
Can you plz be more specific (mobo model, OS, specific AGP card model etc).

I would say that you have a heating prob like LTR12101B said, but also you should check that your card is fully compatible with your mobo´s AGP perhaps you have some voltage that is not proper for your card.

In have the card now a week and had no troubles before with a simple SIS-apg card.
The system is rather old: Amdk6-2 300, 128mb mem, Asus p5a-b m.b. Win98SE, Pointofview Gforce 4 Mx440se with tvout, driver version 43.45,
DirectX 8.1, Audigy1 player soundcard. Overclocked the Amdk6-2 to 333.

http://www.technologyvault.co.uk/geforce/faq.php?display=faq&nr=196&catnr=2&prog=gef&lang=en

The P5A gets a special mention - not sure I'd suggest ALL of that, as some of those tweaks are rather agressive - not quite sure if the P5a-b is the same either. A later AGP driver (not sure if it matches it though) can be found at www.ali.com.tw - it seems to cover pretty well all of their chips.

If you've pushed the processor by using FSB > 100, bring it back to 100 or lower - on the other hand, if you have PC100 RAM, 95 x 3 will be faster than 66 x 5.

I would also suggest confining the AGP rate to 1x.

If you're after more power, maybe you also need to look at a cheap Socket A motherboard and an AMD Duron - Geforce cards and SS7 chipsets are probably the WORST for compatibility issues.

Just a hint: see what's happening if you remove the Audigy. After all the problem may NOT be the AGP card itself, and the Creative drivers are notorious for their dismal behavour with old non-Intel chipsets.

Milennium your mobo only supports AGP 1.0 and your card needs a fully compatible AGP 2.0 this is your problem since this two specs use different voltages, you should look for a mobo replacement if you want to stay with that card.

I run a 2MX on an AGP 1.0 motherboard (3.3v).
The slot should have a keyway, and the card should have a cut in both the 3.3v and 1.5v keyway positions, indicating a universal card - the 4MX may not be quite so forgiving.

I had a very good ATI page showing the keying guide....
http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
YES, that illustrates it nicely, though a "voltage fit" is no guarantee that it will work - I failed MISERABLY with a Savage 2000, despite it being "universal keyed".

Thanks to all, i tested the card into a very modern computer of a friend, and it works perfectly. I think you're all right about the motherboard, it's too old. My friend would buy the card from me, and i can use his Tnt2 32mb AGP card (does this card works?)

TNT2 is a fine card for office workstations- but for running modern games I'm afraid it's a no-go... but anyway this system would choke badly 9or refuse to run) with any demanding game, so it's not such a big deal.

Hey i used 2 have a TNTUltra & it was a damn good card, but like scarecrow says it's a bit passed it now(no TnL)

But as long as it is old games, it should work ok in lo res

BaNzI:D

Hi bud..I would look for a Gforce2.Seems to be the minimum now for the newer games.It should work on that MB.??The Tnt2 used to be okay,kids have it in their computer(can't play some of the newer games).