FTP know how

Hiya :)
Please could someone kindly help....

My neighbours son is on a 6 months trek around the world (lucky for some)
and would like to upload his photos to my neighbours PC.
My neighbour's O/S is XP and using a D-Link router.
What is required for him to know and do in order to upload via FTP?
Should the router be configured, firewall disabled, rules setup etc?

It would be usefull for me too, for the same purpose...but only for a 2 week holiday.

Thanx
Emma

FTP may prove more trouble than its worth in this case as you would need to either have one side set with a static IP or DNS so you could log onto it anywhere and carry this information with you along with an ftp client or details of such that and setting up port forwarding with arouter etc isnt for the faint hearted or inexperienced :(

maby an easy solution would be to use something like YAHOO's PHOTO ALBUM its free and then all you have to do is email the link on to whoever :)

its web based and can be used anywhere so long as you have an account with yahoo :)

it allows multiple picture uploads by drag and drop :)

other suggestions would be use gmail accounts and email them either as attachments or zip them as one unit and email the zip :)

or use one of the online file share tools such as rapidshare or megaupload or yousendit :)

good client is flashfxp and smartftp.
Good server app is bulletproff-i used that one and its excelent,also both are easy to obtain ""everywhere"" :)

zver said:
good client is flashfxp and smartftp.
Good server app is bulletproff-i used that one and its excelent,also both are easy to obtain ""everywhere"" :)
depends though zver .... i was thinking along the lines of If they intend using an internet Café at the sending end ...that they may not be able to install ftp/fxp software or it may also be PORT blocked from using such software :)

the other thing as pointed out above is using a static dns or similar to save getting the other machines I.P. everytime they wish to connect :)

Hiya guys :)

Thank you for your replies, most appreciated.

I tried the Yahoo option by creating an account and uploading a couple of pics....But for some reason the pics wont display and it seemed a little long winded selecting individual files to upload.
Not sure what gmail is?.....will look at that shortly.

My neighbour has some instruction on configuring his router (emailed from his son)...i think his son is quite adamant that's the route he wants to pursue :(

With the router configuration, is it just a case of his son knowing the static IP and host name and open ports of his fathers PC?
I'm not sure what FTP software they're using but I can find out.
As an experiment, I suggested that i would try to FTP my neighbour from my machine.

Thank you for your patience
Emma
xxx

dx

Emmaxxx said:
Hiya guys :)
Not sure what gmail is?.....will look at that shortly.
Gmail = Google Email. You get 2 Gigs of storage space for free. The only trick is that you must be invited to join at this time... but I'll bet there are a few guys around here who have some invites left... just ask. ;)

To make it simple you can use the Gmail drive extension link. Once installed, it creates a drive in your WinXP My Computer. You click the drive enter the user name and password... then just drag and drop your files and they are uploaded.

I use this drive extension with my mother, who is in another country. She finds it very easy to upload and share pictures and other files with me using this method. :cool:

:)

So, would 'Gmail Drive Extension' have to be installed each time on a different PC, as he goes from one internet cafe to another?

And why do you have to get an invite to use it??

thanx for your patience

Emma
X

dx

Emmaxxx said:
So, would 'Gmail Drive Extension' have to be installed each time on a different PC, as he goes from one internet cafe to another?
Ahh I see, he does not have his own computer, but is using other computers. Yes, for the Gmail drive extension to be effective you need to install it on each XP computer you use. Since these are not his computer, don't do it. If they even allowed him to install it (cafe's usually don't let you install stuff), it could allow others access to his files. Your neighbour could though... because they are secure on their own computer. Would make it easier for them to access the files the son uploaded.

Emmaxxx said:
And why do you have to get an invite to use it??
Google's decision. Doesn't make it bad though. ;)

dx

VIPER_1069 said:
my point exactly :)
Correct... something not clear from the first post. ;)

Nevertheless, using Google's 2-Gig storage space seems to be a good option for them. I agree that Yahoo pictures would be ideal, but there are limitations (as many have discovered).

Either way, they are both free.

If he is using XP PRO, then he can just load FTP from IIS (Add Remove Programs, then Windows files). This can be setup to allow folder browsing, so IE can be used to ftp to it (using ftp://serverIP and choosing Logon As to input the username/pwd - or ftp://user:pwd@serverIP).

I did this successfully for many moons on XP with cable and a Linksys router set to port forward to my STATIC private IP on my machine. Now I use G6FTP server for the encryption, but this is overkill for pictures IMHO...

Hi ipdave :)

I guess on his travels he'll come across various O/S's. But I'm quite certain he knows what he is doing from his side, it's just a case of getting it right at this end....easier said than done.
He, has emailed instructions on setting up port forwarding and creating FTP rules in his fathers router settings. What complicates matters this end is that we have 2 PC's, one on xp and his sons PC on Fedora 2 core (the one we're trying to upload pics to). The 2 PC's cannot see each other on the network. I thought this was because of the workgroup name, but not sure how to rectify this.
I believe the Fedora PC has a static Ip_192.168.1.5
The Fedora PC can only connect to the Net when the the other machine (192.168.1.2) is switched off.

I've downloaded SmartFTP, never used it before but would like to try for myself to connect with my neighbours PC.
What info do I require from my neigbour?
I take it that the address field in SmartFTP, would be my neighbours isp ftp server address?

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Emma Kate
XXX

Emmaxxx said:

The Fedora PC can only connect to the Net when the the other machine (192.168.1.2) is switched off.
These are not the TRUE IP when connected to the internet these are the ip given to the lan connection on each machine for their networking capabilities to see the ip of the home computer you need to select the internet connection icon on the task bar choose status and then DETAILS this should give the server ip address (do NOT post the ip here for security reasons :) )

For the remote machine it mayby a bit harder to gain if the machine in use is not directly connected to the internet but on a LAN :(

ftp

Emmaxxx said:

I guess on his travels he'll come across various O/S's. But I'm quite certain he knows what he is doing from his side, it's just a case of getting it right at this end....easier said than done.
He, has emailed instructions on setting up port forwarding and creating FTP rules in his fathers router settings. What complicates matters this end is that we have 2 PC's, one on xp and his sons PC on Fedora 2 core (the one we're trying to upload pics to). The 2 PC's cannot see each other on the network. I thought this was because of the workgroup name, but not sure how to rectify this.

I've downloaded SmartFTP, never used it before but would like to try for myself to connect with my neighbours PC.
What info do I require from my neigbour?
I take it that the address field in SmartFTP, would be my neighbours isp ftp server address?

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Emma Kate
XXX

Unless the Fedora machine is configured to use smb (Windows networking/file sharing), you cannot see it from the XP box. You should be able to ftp to it using the static IP from the XP box as long as you setup ftp on the Fedora box.

You need to use your outside (ISP's on the DSL/Cable modem, ie, NOT a 192.168.x.x IP) to get to the ftp server from outside. The router takes that IP on ports 20, 21 and forwards to the internal private IP of 192.168.1.5 in this case.

Sorry for my late reply, I've had a few problems here.

Finally my neighbour sorted his problem (not quite sure how tho') and his son has since been able to upload his pics. So, everyone's happy :)

I go away in 5 week time :), and would like to do the same or similar.
I thought about Remote Access, anyone here have any knowledge of this?
I've heard of 'UltraVNC', has anyone any experience with this?

Thanx and so sorry again for my late reply.
Thanx for all your help, much appreciated!

Mx