Fried system?

OK. My video card fan had stopped and overloaded power supply. Fan SPEED let me know that. CPU temp/voltage had been OK.

I surely have a 32bit file problem. Running my WD HD. Redid my Maxtor from scratch but not on line with yet. It acted up the FIRST time trying to load 2 pgms saying a MSI/MB file was not connected to hardware but later/boot, it was OK. Possibly a temp problem?

I think MB fried, printed circuits. Do you think CPU/mem strips OK?

My MSI MB I think is OBO and K4 the new one. $89 so it must be old now.

Everything TESTS AOK as parts.

I got it

Have a NEW 64 meg ATI video card. Had to mpve modem card.
Switched Windos video down to 16 bit.

Maybe BIOS might have gotten heat. I have to take it out yet, maybe BAD printed circuits from AGP slot.

I have a 100mHz w/Win 95 here!

HOPEFULLY it is not 19" monitor! I cannot afford that again.

Fix It Utility computer tests were AOK. WD HD (they have a windows version) test was AOK. Mem test AOK.

No replies so.....

Saturday update:
Today I pushed the bios heatsink in. I think it had one end up. It came snapped in on plastic clips. It DOES run better but 3 days and NO problems required to prove it to me. Saturday anyway.

I'll post my OWN comments, HEH!

Sunday update:
AOK all night.
Folded ribbon cables. not really good, used electrical tape once and a plactic connector once. HUGE opeing for front air to come in and away from mem strips some.
CPU fan 100 rpm less.
Idle temp 2 degrees F less.
Running temp never got near 120F.

SO far loose bios heatsink was the problem after viseo card.
Might get a fan for front of case to blow in as huge heatsink on video card

Re: I'll post my OWN comments, HEH!

ChiMusic said:
Might get a fan for front of case to blow in as huge heatsink on video card
Maybe you also need an extra ventilation opening in your computercase....otherwise,after you're machine is on for a few hours, you're only blowin' around the hot air with an extra fan....

you can buy fan units that fit either a spare single CDROM BAY with two small 1 inch fans in or if u have two CDROM SLOTS spare a single 4inch heavy duty fan that fits the two slots at the same time looks good too as they are intergrated with the faceplate and come in shades of cream or black to match your case color :) these draw the air through the system and out the back fan/fans :)

Fitting a much larger than usual heat sink and fan on the processor helps lots too :)

Not forgetting sufficient HEAT TRANSFER compound between the fan and the processor its self :)

A lot of modifications ive seen of SPEED FREAK over clockers is carving a cool design in the side of the case that the board is not attached to with a DREMEL hobby tool kit :)

lots of cool ideas here >

http://www.modthebox.com/gallery.html

maby cooling you need is .... to be this cool >

:)

not mine but very nice tho :)

http://www.modthebox.com/gallery25.html

fans fans fans

I had a LOT of fans drunk!

Have 2 on back of case, CPU, and 2 in PS. New cases with one HUGE one on back or one on side nice.

I was just thking a LITTLE air INTO to the card slots. I could get a blown card, rip it up and put in in UNDER the video card with a SMALL fan screwed on it. Just for the HEATSINK. That sounds better.

Holy moly

You trying to get people to have 2 jobs for those computers? Awesome pics.

Looks like it would be standard to put a front fan in, I have 2 brackets there. I will take out a MB card dummy plate in back (maybe 2) and put an air filter in, like the green pot/pan scrubbers. No modifications NEEDED. I do have to check into the rounded drive cables! AS if free $12 flat w/drives will not do.

Still 2 days to watch. I am watching memory with MB utility.

I am too old to worry about it. I can cutomize MINE by putting a beard on the front. "Something" feminine for CD bay doors too!

Fixing original problem

My Monday computer damage repair.
Something VERY important I think for everyone w/o a $10K system. Especially those on a budget. You do not find these things in a magazine.

I bought 2 case fans locally, $10/e. They sell generic 99 cents mail order so these should be OK. Replaced upper back exhaust and it snapped in place tighter than the original. My intent, tighter.

Put one in the front with air blowing in. My intent for new video card w/heat sink and whatever, bios heat sink, circulate some air up in the CRACKS. Does not alter CPU temp.

Can be my original problem ATI 9000 128 meg card, w/fan blowing, was due to DUST. That fan is so dinky DINKY DINKY they should be recalled. I had cleaned system fans X2 anyway.

What I now did was take the green kitchen pot/pans scrubbers (have colored but no grey/tan) and perfect fit over front louvers, round one end, and roll masking tape as double sided tape to the front ON the outside.

I have eliminated my ORIGINAL dust by 80% plus for the new fan SUCKING AIR IN TOO.

I think hardware store and get PLASTIC window screen, cut and wrap pads as if wrapping a pkg and fold to back and use DUCT tape there. That sticks to anything. Wire screen is brittle and pieces break off. And retape to FRONT louvers.

It should look decent enough then. The pads also help quiet that FRONT fan noise. Help keep dust off CPU heat sink.

Think of it something like the filter on a portable air conditioner and cleaned when it gets dirty. SWISH IN WATER to clean!

I do not know if I found all problems that occurred from video card overheating but I have possibly eliminated the “original cause”.