fresh clean computer

ps2

is there a program where you can get your computer a fresh start from where you first had it when you bought it?

It depends on what you want to do...

2 main methods:

-Cloning (or ghosting)
You install your os the way you like, you make a snapshot of it on a cd, and when you want to get it "as new", you boot your cds/dvd and it will erease everything and put what you've save to the disk. A new clean install.

-Unattended installation
The one I prefer :) It's a automatic installation of Windows: everything you would do yourself can be done unattended. Much more configurable, you can update your program/hotfixes/registry tweaks. You can save your drivers and make them install automaticly. You can even set multiple installation scripts for multiple computers (I only have 1 disk for many computers...)

Unattended is for windows 2000, XP and 2003.

You can even put those 3 on the same cd (maybe not just ONE cd, but XP Pro + Home CAN be put on pretty less than one cd)... but thats another story :)

look here for more info:
Windows XP/2003 unattended guide
MSFN's unattended board

Good luck!!! :)

Once you reinstall, if that's what you have to do, after you have everything updated and your basic programs that you want installed, then do an image that you can later reinstall if necessary. That way you don't have to reinstall them if it messes up again, just restore the image and you're on your way.

NoSpam

one suggestion is to have a clean install at every bootup but not to everyones taste but least its nice and bright and clean every day :)

You would use something like ROLLBACK that auto rolls back all software/changes to the system drive or drives specified on restart /bootup :)

the training center i work for has this on their systems to avoid the hassles of fixing machines every single day they just revert to their original status upon reboot :)

any drives not set to ROLLBACK are left as is :)

other than this if its a store bought system you usually get a set of restore disks to revert the drive to shop fresh clean :)

or as poacher says above FORMAT C: drastic sure but you get the cleanest drive outta the 3 ideas :)