Freecom_DVD+/-RW8J1 and Lite_on 812s

hebeallrusty

Probably a dumb question to ask but is the Freecom_DVD+/-RW8J1 and the Lite-on 812s the same drive with a different brand name. And would I be able to upgrade to the 832(hacked) firmware to burn DL discs for future reference. I'm not wanting to do it yet but maybe in a few months time when DL discs are cheaper

I'm not shure......I'd rather think that the Freecom_DVD+/-RW8J is a rebadged LiteOn,instead of the Freecom_DVD+/-RW8J1 ....

hebeallrusty

Even the box that the freecom came in doesn't have much information regarding the model name, i had to find the info out in Windows. I only got it because it was half price and wanted to burn DVDs

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=109

There seems to be some confusion, but it does look like it may be a Liteon OEM - is it a "Liteon Short" casing - the current Liteons tend to be about 2cm shorter than every other drive, and the OEM versions generally share this feature - not seen on any other drives.

Not sure if other "classic" Liteon features remain in ALL OEMs.

The "pinch" in the vertical bow of the tray front (seems to be the same profile all the way on some of them.
The rounded rectangle eject button (so far, always), the rounded end LED (some have a plain rectangle), and the emergency eject hole dead centre above the volume thumbwheel.