Fonts - FREE versions of commercial

I had to format my HD, and when trying to get some formerly free fonts found with some horror that they are now very expensive COMMERCIAL fonts. The two I am thinjking of are "Space Toaster" and "Andy" both free when I got them, now no longer. Does anyone have some good font sites that I should know of ? ;) :D

Hey, I'd be interested in knowing about a free source for fonts. I'm collaborating in producing a comic book about America in the late fifties, and we're always trying to get access to unique and peculiar older fonts in both pc and mac flavours.

By the way, one option for getting a biggish basic font library would be to purchase an older version of Corel Word Perfect suite (which usually sells for under $20) -- they come with True-type fonts and a massive font-library.

The free SERIF apps ( www.freeserifsoftware,com ) also reportedly drop a bumdle of fonts in - whether you want them or not!

NB. Free serif apps "call home" to get annoucements or offers, or for additional templates - they got busted out of alt.comp.freeware's "pricelessware" list becuse of it.