Firewall and not being allowed to download files

Dear comrades,I need to voice my concern about the fact that if you have a firewall installed you cannot download files.I feel that for sercurity purposes and especially to keep the propriety software makers from spying eg m$ etc I need to have at least some protection,the problem is that when I download a file I from cdrsoft I must deactive my wall which then for the duration of the download I leave myself exposed(I then need not have a firewall,right)This is just a concern and an opinion and I do not mean to offend but am willing to listen and learn and see if there is awork around this which to me is a very sticky problem.Thanx.Till later:)

Dear pokopiko I have tried zonealarm but I cannot use it as it has a conflict with my ftp programs.I f i download a file from ftp site my system reboots(win xp)thanx for reply.till later:)

as I said if I disable my firewall then I can download but then I am vunerable especially to software that is installed on pc and which I cannot do with out sending info back home.

bl1

i have Zone Alarm Pro & i just found a prog that i can't dl
keeps saying no referrer sent. this is the first time this has happened! i even tried using a different brouser, no luck

I also use Zone Alarm Pro in Win200 & Winxp pro both with IE 6 and FlashGet 1.10 installed, they work OK:cool: Ive just downloaded 28mb from this site in 1hr 40min using a soft modem which seems to work :D