Finally-Halo on the PC...

It sux a big one PLEXTORMAN i know a few BETA testers that played this on VERY HIGH spec gaming machines and it runs like a dog :(

they need some serious tweaking to get it playable :(

meanwhile im just gunna keep kicking butt with it on my X-BOX muahahah :)

roll on HALO 2 for X-BOX :)

I`ve never played Halo,but I`d love to.Heard some brilliant reviews of it when the XBox first arrived.I`ve never owned a console since the old original Atari 2600 many years ago....

hehe you have to play it to experience it its getting old now as an X-BOX game but still has loads of playability as a darn good shootem up style game :)

Aye indeed :( it runs like a lethargic tortoise on sedatives :eek: even on high end rigs peeps still struggle to get over 40 fps with the eyecandy, i've managed to get 30'ish fps on on my crap 1900xp oc@1.8g,1.5g ddr,gf4 ti4600 by reducing the resolution and some of the eyecandy :rolleyes:........the only saving grace is the excellent AI but alas the game is 2years old and there are plenty of fps games that have excellent graphics on on the pc that run at much better fps than halo,..oh i'd hate to see what the fps would be like if the game supported anti-alaising :rolleyes: .......as a final note...besides the performance and graphical issues it is a rather good game ;)

Hmmm...Should I buy it then? I`ve got an xp2500+ oc@2.2g (400FSB)512mb 200mhz DDR (2x256mb dual channeled)/ Ti4200 8x oc@300-600 (equiv 2 4600 or 4800? I 4get..) /120 gig WD-1200JB ATA100 7200rpm HD...Original SB Live! 4 years old...Pioneer 40x slot DVD-ROM...Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32A..
Philips 19" CRT 1920x1440 @75Hz...I know it`s not exactly the best or fastest system but it`s not bad on a shoestring-I didn`t exactly pay the earth :)

dx

You should be fine plexman. I have a an AthlonXP 2100 overclocked to ~2Ghz, 512mb RAM 166fsb, and a GeForce 4200 Ti, 1024 x 768@85hz, with all the eye candy EXCEPT Shadows and it runs well. With shadows on, I have to drop it to 800 x 600 though.

If I try and run any higher, as Viper said, it is dog slow!

Oh and the 1.01 patch seems to have helped a little. ;)

I've heard that if you use the command line "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\halo.exe -use11" or whatever the path to the exe is, it does wonders for the game.
What this does is use version 1.1 of the shaders in the game, thus boosting performance without sacrificing image quality.
I don't have the game so I can't test if this works or not. Any brave souls out there willing to try ?

dx

Lister said:
did try it but cant see any differnce tbh :)
maybe just me
This all depends on what Pixel Shaders mode your video card works on. If you have a true DirectX 9 vid card, you should be able to run 2.0. If you don't (like me Geforce 4200 Ti), you should try -use11 and or -use14.

For me... 14 did very little, but 11 did about a 5-8% improvement.

Play with the various settings and check your framerates in the game CTRL+F12 or in timedemo (-timedemo in the command line).

But by far the best is not to use shadows or specular. Those 2 alone are about a 10% increase. Get rid of Particles and lower your texture quality and you are near 20%.

Oh and try the 1.02 patch just released... it helped a little.

Here is a little present I found to help you... an official tweak guide. Happy tweaking! :cool:

Attachments

lol in a way consoles are better cos you know every game will work lol..personally i haven't had a console for years cos i prefer the variety of games you get on the pc ;) ..back to halo you can get a huge performance leap by using the switch -useff this basically tells it that you have a fixed function card and you lose all the effects but it runs a lot better ;)

hehehe X-BOX is basically a PC in a box see the specs below ...

Xbox Hardware Specifications

CPU
733 MHz Intel Custom Pentium III

Front Side Bus
133 MHz - 1.0 GB/sec

RAM
Micron 64 MB DDR SDRAM

Memory Bandwidth
6.4 GB/sec bus

Storage Medium
8 GB Hard Disk
(Western Digital, 5400 RPM)

I/O (Input / Output)
w-5x DVD-ROM
Type 9 DVD - 8.5 GB single sided
4x Proprietary USB Game Ports (12 Mbps)
Broadband Ethernet Connection (100 Mbps)
Proprietary Audio/Video Connector

Graphics Processor Unit
250 MHz Custom-Designed NV2X

Max Polygon Performance
125 M/sec

Simultaneous Textures
4.8 G/Sec

Pixel Fill Rate
12w

Compressed Textures
Yes (6:1)

Maximum resolution
1920 x 1080 (HDTV Required)

MPEG 2 Support
Yes (Standard DVD)

HDTV Game Support
Yes (HDTV Cable Required)

DVD Movie Playback
Yes (DVD Remote Control Required)

Media Comm. Processor
200 MHz Processor Custom
Designed By NVIDIA
Controls Hard Disk & DVD
Controls High-Speed Ethernet
Controls Proprietary USB Game Ports
Controls Advanced Audio which uses:
licensed technology from UK's Sensaura 3D.

Peripheral Bus (MCP BUS)
400 MB/s (Full Duplex)

Broadband Enabled
Yes (10/100 Mbps / TCP/IP / WinSock)

Audio Channels

3D Audio Support
Yes (64 3D channels)

Operating System
- Windows 2000 Core OS
(Custom designed by MS)
- DirectX 8.0a (Drivers)
- Part 1 of the OS is on the hard disk < 1 MB
- Part 2 of the OS can be DVD disc < 500 K
- (Part 1 includes the core OS, DirectX, DVD playback, some drivers and 3D user interface)
- (Part 2 includes things like libraries, other drivers and other features needed by the developer)
- OS takes less then 3 MB in RAM
- The OS has a 3D user interface when no games are inserted to play music CDs, run DVD movies etc.
- The games run in ring 0, known as kernel mode which is the fastest mode possible.

V-CHIP
Parental control on DVD's with ESRB ratings

Size
Width: ~31cm
Depth: ~27cm
Height: ~10cm

Total Internal Components
:)

NVIDIA powered :)

yes a small hd but.... you can fit a larger one if needed :)

not that u really need it as its mainly used for save games and a few music cds which incidentally u can use for in game music in most games :):)

plus you can now get a broadband connection with X-BOX live and a router connected to your pc :)

Hmmm..impressive specs for a games console..Better than the PS2 also...
However,having been a big fan of id Software ever since Wolf 3D many years ago,I can hardly wait for DOOM 3!!! But that`s another story,and a new thread!! :)

Last edited:
when chipped/modded yes its a fully functional multi media playing device :)

unmodded you can store music cds in microsofts own compression format on the hard disk and play them back with the XBOX built in play or play them in-game as in game music :)

A tip here is X-BOX unmodded will only accept original music cds to backup/compress from to the hard disk ....but oddly enough takes CDRW's with music backed up to (but as audio format only not mp3:) )

I've read that the next-gen Xboxs will be stripped of harddrives and use fast solid state flash instead. Quick boots, no bad sectors, but goodbye to all the mods for turning the X into a linux box.