file and internet sharing....

i have a linksys router befsr41 and it is connected to 3 computers sharing files and internet....i was wondering if i can transfer files from one computer to the other using the home network workgroup??.. or can i go into my network places and just go into any of the file sharing folder copy and paste onto any computer??..

Tommie said:
i have a linksys router befsr41 and it is connected to 3 computers sharing files and internet....i was wondering if i can transfer files from one computer to the other using the home network workgroup??.. or can i go into my network places and just go into any of the file sharing folder copy and paste onto any computer??..
There is almost unlimited ways of doing this Tommie.

My prefered method is to nominate one of those three PCs (one with biggest disk drive and free space) as a file server. Create a new folder and 'share' that folder. Once shared, you can then map that folder and give it a drive letter on your other two computers, effectively having the effect of adding a 'new' Hard Disk Drive and very hassel free.

Migrating from my old comp to my new one, I used FileZilla and Filezilla server, as I didn't want to set up a workgroup and then remove it again.

With a "proper" worgroup set up, and with 3 machines, it's probably a good thing if you can share files and printers, then any of yours can see any other, and if you ever make a network connection that isn't through a nice safe NAT router, and isn't properly firewalled, then everyone else can see them as well.

I wouldn't like to run a workgroup, unless certain I had adequate perimeter boundaries - a router is good, but it's essential that any possible direct connections are firewalled, and preferably outside of the workgroup (by unchecking everything except TCP/IP from their adapter config) - equivalent to the "network bondage" configuaration favoured by GRC shieldsUp

http://www.grc.com/su-bondage.htm

In XP, on the "general" or "Networking" (for ISP-modem) tab, uncheck anything "for Microsoft Networks" on any connection that you do not intend using workgroup networking on - I think that serves the same purpose as the "network bondage" rules for other OS.

None of my connections have them enabled, and my internet works fine.