Fedora corrupting XP?

Hi,

I've juts installed the Fedora Core 1 on my new laptop (Dell Inspiron 8500).

Now I can't enter windows xp! Just before the login screen, I get a blue screen and the computer reboots... Fedora is working, but i need XP.

I've changed the partitions like that:
hda1: 3 Gb ntfs for XP
hda2: 100 Mb ext3 for boot
hda3: 700 Mb swap
hda4: 5 Gb ext3 for linux installation
hda5: 20 Gb ntfs for Windows proograms
hda6: 20 Gb ntfs for data

I've used Partition Expert 2003 under XP for partitioning. Before installing Fedora, the partitions were working, i could use xp and reboot normally.

What could do this? I have Alcohol 120% (1.4.7.1005 i think) installed on xp, maybe the virtual drive can give a blue screen?

I can boot in safe mode though, everything isnt lost, yet...:)

Thanks again for your help.

Big

Thou should NEVER use Grub or Lilo as a boot manager. Use third party stuff, which uses just the MBR sectors and no HD space. And yes, Fedora core 1 (AKA Yarrow) is the buggiest Linux distro I have ever seen...

scarecrow said:
Thou should NEVER use Grub or Lilo as a boot manager. Use third party stuff, which uses just the MBR sectors and no HD space. And yes, Fedora core 1 (AKA Yarrow) is the buggiest Linux distro I have ever seen...
damit :(

So redhat 9 should be better than fedora?

What could you suggest me? tanks...

lol ...however,though SUSE is ok with apps,i had probs while trying 2 work directly with the src of apps...it won't compile...that was in 8.2....

Well,

deleted fedora partitions, and reinstalled XP since it was on C: and programs/data was on D: and E:...

Maybe I'll try Suse...

I have problems mounting NTFS partitions with SuSE 9, even at read-only mode. Another couple of things are broken (still), but in general it is very good. Mandrake 9.2 has also improved quite a lot since the initial release, but still their KDE implementation is buggy- in particular Konqueror gives plenty of segmentation faults and quite a bit of screen flickering (without OpenGL drivers).
For a laptop, you might like to try Knoppix (one of the easiest and stablest Debian variants available), although the included kernel does not have ACPI support built-in (at least at the Knoppix releases I've tried), so you will need to compile your own kernel.

serjer said:
btw has ntfs writing become stable?
It seems that 9.0 does not have even NTFS read out of the box! :p It seems fearing the same things as Redhat, cause neither Redhat nor Fedora can mount NTFS with the prebuilt kernels.
NTFS writing is still not recommended- as Microshaft does not give details about the filesystem intricacies, progress is very slow. Of course you can patch your kernel to allow NTFS writing, but then you shouldn't complain if you would lose all your data there...

Last edited:
wright on

hamcom said:
Hmmmm ..... And people slag of Microsoft Windows OS ????....
:D
Yeah....when i see linux..its always some problems,some mess..drivers..whatever.....The only problems on my pc came from my stupidity or installing warez version which fuc..d my pc.....never from ms.......or some dumb software companys which selling garbage......like paragon drive backup....they put you in poissition to make a boot cd yourself..compiling some hidden files or whatever is the prodecure....anyway..conclussion....I know i will get flamed..but..
WINDOWS ROCKS...............

hamcom said:
Hmmmm ..... And people slag of Microsoft Windows OS ????....
If you are running a Linux distro where stability is the premium (eg Slackware) and you don't want the edge-of-the seat development technology, it will run perfectly FOREVER without a single reboot, mate... unless you use a new kernel, of course. Or maybe a new graphics driver, in that case you don't even have to reboot, just shut down and restart the xserver.
Are Linux developers responsible for the NTFS mounting problems? No... and by the way, KDE desktop is WAY more functional than any Windows desktop version I have used up to date.

Last edited:
msblast

serjer said:
MS had 2 hide behind linux when msblast was partying :D:D:D
Its totally true that windows need those security fixes-updates,but just becouse all those morons who dont have nothing to do but making a viruses or worms...they should jail`em... :rolleyes:

Still, I can't figure out why Fedora corrupted the XP partitions, since it does not mount NTFS at all... unless it had put wrong fstab entries in the MBR. Judging from its general status, this is not unlikely- although noone had this problem with RedHat 9.
PLZ help a little- did you try to install GRUB as the default boot manager?