Err,has anybody installed this?

Just installed this new(?) fun Linux dist.And obviously so has Bill Gates judging by Microsoft`s alleged reported law suit.Gates is obviously p*ssed off because it`s what Microsoft`s creation should have been like in the first place! And it`s open source! HEHE! :D :D :D
LINDOWS
Anyone else tried it? Automatically configured my broadband connection instantly.Unlike Mandrake and RedHat which took me an eternity! Does what it says on the tin- looks like Windows,feels like Windows,smells like Windows....etc :eek: :eek: :D
h**p://www.lindows.com

Apparently it also installs about as secure as an unpatched Windows by default - now there's compatibilty for you!

Unlike many Linux distro's, not available free (although there's a Live CD officially available on P2P).

The "ImaNvuFan" coupon code is no longer valid, but "P2Ppays" is still worth $25

http://info.lindows.com/p2p/p2p3.html
Looks like the P2P free LiveCD is no longer "on", but P2Psaves is an alternate coupon code.

Oops, yes it IS still on, just that the link I pulled from a newsgroup points to a different page.

Lindows Live CD - free by P2P

It is a very average Linux distro: easy to install, but buggy plus that there is no free software for it.
If you want to jump to Linux with minimal effort and without issues then you should look after Xandros Desktop 2 (also commercial).
Of course any Linux devotee will scorn both those two as crap and opt for something like Gentoo (very hard to bring up even for experienced users- everything at the installation phase is done via console and all programs are installed from optimized sourcecode...), but probably middle of the road solutions like Mandrake, Fedora or Debian should be a better compromise.

not tried lindows since i've never got hold of a copy of it..if u r a newbie & want an easy distro,go 4 mandrake or a knoppix distro(installed image on hdd) ;)

Just installed Mandrake 10.0.Looks nice on first impressions.I`ll let you all know what I think of it later.Ooooodles of apps with it as always....

plextorman said:
Just installed Mandrake 10.0.Looks nice on first impressions.I`ll let you all know what I think of it later.Ooooodles of apps with it as always....
Very nice indeed, and very buggy as well. If you are on broadband then the first thing you should do is setting up your URPMI repositories via "easy URPMI" ( www.urpmi.org ), set everything there including contrib, Penguin Liberation Front, update source etc and perform an update ASAP. Mind you that kernel updates are NOT shown in urpmi (most convenient GUI for urpmi is Mandrake Control Center/upgrade software), you have to get them manually.
Some things don't work perfectly well here yet (e.g. wine works once in a blue moon...), but in general this should be the best Mandrake release I've ever used- and there are quite a few. The new 4.6.3 kernel still has some glitches, and it's not as fast as 2.4.X, but it's rock solid and with native support for things that could be a pain to setup in former kernel versions.
If you want to toy with packages/add remove software very frequently and you can spare 2.5GB of harddisk space, then you can put somewhere there the four distrubution ISO's (make them three, if you don't have access to mandrake Club, or Five, if you have the Powerpack version), and mount them permantently via the "mnt" command, or via the filesystem module of webmin. then, simply put the mount points at your URPMI sources instead of the physical CD's... that way you won't have to change any media at your drives when installing software.

Last edited: