ENERMAX PSU makers to release 1kw PSU ....

hexus gaming reports 1kw PSU

Enermax, those crazy power supply dudes have gone power mad with their latest bit of kit, the Galaxy. Set to be available in the UK from around October, the Galaxy is the first PSU to the retail market claiming to be able to deliver 1000W eek:… yes, you read that right, 1000W. :eek:

In final production at the time of writing, the two samples in the photos are engineering samples so we couldn’t get out hands on one for testing, but having run the figures past Rys, they add up to just a little over 1000W output, drawing 1400W from the mains… so no need for a dimmer switch in the lounge anymore!Although there is no really foreseeable use for this device at the current moment, if trends continue, no matter how power efficient our computers become they will still continue to suck up power at increasing rates.
sub note .. some of you out there MAY need to get a whole new TOWER just to accomodate the beast :eek: :eek:

see pic attached (c/o of hexus gaming) :)

Attachments

This cannot replace my custom made PSU unit... Real 750W with Elma capacitors and resistors, a 13 kg hi-performance toroidal transformer and full transistorized current control in all outputs.
Of course it does not fit inside the tower, so it's somewhere at the back of my desk, and it costed me to build it somewhere close to the retail price of the Enermax thing.
And boy, it was FUN to build it, while bying that Enermax can be lots of things, but certainly not fun!

scarecrow said:
This cannot replace my custom made PSU unit... Real 750W with Elma capacitors and resistors, a 13 kg hi-performance toroidal transformer and full transistorized current control in all outputs.
Of course it does not fit inside the tower, so it's somewhere at the back of my desk, and it costed me to build it somewhere close to the retail price of the Enermax thing.
And boy, it was FUN to build it, while bying that Enermax can be lots of things, but certainly not fun!

lol i suppose there is the satisfaction that you built it yourself :)

but how do you Warrenty that lol :p :)

anyhow looks like we will ALL have to keep upgrading with the speed of processors ever increasing ... we will need the extra power to cope with it :)

VIPER_1069 said:
but how do you Warrenty that lol :p :)
The warranty is lifetime: Just use expensive, high quality components to build, and not the two-pennies-per-kilo components present even at expensive PSU's, and a sturdy APM for feeding it- or at the very least a working surge arrest unit.
During the last sudden power shortage here (six months ago) a 250$ Silentmaxx hybrid PSU was toasted beyond repair, but "the monster" did not even sneeze!

Last edited:
A 13Kg toroidal transformer :eek: - you don't believe in switchmode then, and that must have set you back a pretty penny, if it wasn't surplus.

I'd probably go the "creative" route, and use multiple 120W toroids and a load-spreading regulator system - I believe it has been done in a high power 12V supply for amateur radio.

Giving my age away, I remember the old BBC Micro...

The Original PSU, as specified, was NOT SWITCHMODE.
It used a toroidal transformer, big capacitors, and it was practically immune to supply glitches - I swear you could have flicked the mains off/on without crashing.

But, it ran hotter than hell, and had nothing left to power a disk drive.

Along came the switchmode, and in came extreme susceptibility to every little crackle - but at least it could power a disk drive.