DVD Writer - software constantly crashing. Not writing. HELP !

I bought a new 8x dvd writer, a Toshiba. Writing fine straight away. My mate bought my old one, a Sony DRU-500A, which was an excellent writer for me. It fitted fine, made sure aspi layer 4.60 was on, put on Nero (the latest) and Clone DVD on too. Problem is, it reads, but will not write. The programs are just crashing. "Not responding" :confused:

I am tearing my hair out. Whats wrong ?
I made the Writer the master on the jumpers, and the other dvd the slave on the same ide cable. Any help, PLEASE ! :eek: :(

Oh - his comp is an 850 AMD (what was the old name ? Their version of celeron's - began with a D) 256 ram
Hardly fast, but surely enough ? :confused:

Well you said you used Nero how about you post the history log file, so we can get an idea of whats going on.:)

Phil K said:
Oh - his comp is an 850 AMD (what was the old name ? Their version of celeron's - began with a D) 256 ram
Duron is Athlon's little brother;
try to update the IDE/chipset drivers; :)

Greetings from
Duracell

Duracell said:

Greetings from
Duracell
Nice Duracell I missed that and me hating intell so much I should have seen that. :eek:

PC-GUY said:
and me hating intell so much I should have seen that. :eek:
Why hating Intel?
personally i don't hate them; i use AMD only because their better price/performance relation; :cool:

Duracell said:
Why hating Intel?
personally i don't hate them; i use AMD only because their better price/performance relation; :cool:
You just explained it the way I should had. :)

I also hate Intel: I have Intel based puters since ages, and I NEVER had a chance to groan about them in any forum... (excluding an old, VIA based mainboard which was crappy crap).

Duracell said:

Greetings from
Duracell
How ? I have to add here that my friend is NOT on the internet, not even dial-up, but if you could give me a step by step, I could download them for him and do it. (Last thing I want is to have to give him his money back !)

Thanks for the help by the way ! ;)

Last edited:
Phil K said:
How ? I have to add here that my friend is NOT on the internet, not even dial-up, but if you could give me a step by step, I could download them for him and do it. (Last thing I want is to have to give him his money back !)

Thanks for the help by the way ! ;)
You can do like Viper said or if you don't know say its a self-built you can us a program like Sandra Standard 2004 to tell you what chipset is on the board and by that you can update the drivers.
And scarecrow I'm happy for you but how does that help Phil K?:confused:

VIPER_1069 said:
@phil find out the make of his motherboard and download the latest drivers from its homepage ;)
His comp (was mine) is a nightmare to work on. When I had it it wasnt a shred of bother. Since he's had it....

Never mind. I'll take "Aida" down and try to get the gist of whats going on as per chipsets etc (I wouldnt know a chipset if it bit me ar*e !) It is an Abit motherboard, with raid (another thing I wouldnt know if it bit me !) and I think its got K7 in the title, but I'll find out tonight. As my foot has only been out of plaster for a week and I'm still walking with a stick, I am not looking forward to the back and forth between his and mine, (wife has the car for work, and my mate doesnt have one) and he's no use - he's got less idea of what a computer does than my shredded wheat did this morning..... :rolleyes:

Duracell said:
That's why you got the PC sold to him? :D
It was working fine until he cursed it by his ownership two years ago ! :p He got it for £150 then, with all the software he could ever want, he screwed up the CD writer, so I replaced it with a faster one. Its ridiculous. He got it for bloody buttons, yet expected 24/7 back up from me ! Most of the problems he's had have been due to his mistakes, and it took me and his girlfriend telling him in no uncertain terms that what he's got was an absolute bargain and its time he started trying to solve some of his own problem with it that stopped him ringing me up furious because he buggered something up. :rolleyes: :mad:

Duracell said:
if it's Abit then you have to look there: http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download.php?pFILE_TYPE=Driver
but however, please report the exact motherboard and chipset name, so we can look at the chipset fabricators hompage; they often offer more up to date drivers;
Been there, done that. Got all the stuff pertaining to what I believe his motherboard to be. (And a few it might be) :confused:

Last edited:
serjer said:
wasn't there any cdrom containing any drivers for the mbm ?
Surely be out of date now, anyway. The drivers which aren't working with the DVD Writer will be the ones on the disc.

Duracell said:
You said you will use AIDA?
if you can't find it, there is a successor: http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
and after that:
Thanks for that, that'll be handy ! ;)
Actually, I got him sorted. The problem had not been the drive, nor the drivers, nor the software. It had been his old dvd-rom (ONE year old !) I had tried to write on the fly and it had been buggering up the software. I tried it last night with just the Sony drive, and it went through without a hitch. Irritating. If only I had done that first. Instead of opening up and changing jumpers etc etc ad naseum.... :( :rolleyes:

Addendum: the board if I remember correctly, was an Abit KT7A Raid.

Last edited: