DVD to VCD problem, Besweet crash

I am PC competent, but new to audio/video file conversion. I printed the ChickenMan tutorial, read it through, and followed the instructions as closely as I could (the version of DVD2SVCD I have does not have MPEG2DEC2.DLL, but it does have MPEG2DEC3.DLL).

The process started without a hitch, but when the Besweet program ran it produced "This program hs performed an illegal opertion and will be shut down". The details are:

BESWEET executed an invalid instruction in
module BESWEET.EXE at 017f:0040e44f.
Registers:
EAX=3727c5ac CS=017f EIP=0040e44f EFLGS=00210216
EBX=358502be SS=0187 ESP=006bfad0 EBP=006bfae8
ECX=00421a20 DS=0187 ESI=007e08d0 FS=488f
EDX=00421a5c ES=0187 EDI=00000700 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
0f 4c c3 83 c2 04 8b 1a 3b c3 0f 4c c3 ba 00 00
Stack dump:
007e08d0 00000000 007e08d0 00000000 006bfdc4 3727c5ac 006bfe38 0040f166 11b72e00 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

If I close the error the process continues until RunbbMPEG when it can't find the needed sound file. I have been reading on other forums and did find one post saying a different sound processor might have to be used and then restart DVD2SVCD in a recovery mode???

I have 3 PC's on a network and I am trying to run this on the least used PC (slowest). Speed isn't an issue, but perhaps it just not possible for it to run the software? I did try changing the iDCT to 2 (IEEE 1180) since I don't think my processor supports SSE, but the results were the same.

The system generating the error is Homebuilt Gigabyte GA-5AX F4b BIOS, AMD K6-III+ 450, bus 110MHz@5x, 384Mb RAM, OS: WIN 98SE, 3DFx Voodoo 3 3500 TV, Soundblaster Live Value, ALi M5229 PCI Bus master IDE controller, Maxtor Ultra ATA133 controller, IBM-DTLA-307045 hard (45GB) drive with 18.7 Gb free, Lite-on LTR-32123S burner, Realtek RTL8139 NIC, Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0A USB. I also have a Wacom ArtZ II serial digitizer pad and a ScanDisk USB Compact flash reader. All WIN 98 patches have been installed along with the lateset DirectX. This system is very stable and has not given me any problems.

I do have (2) P3 systems I can use if that's what's needed.

I have also tried using the IC7 software to convert DVD to VCD. Without the patch the conversion process started (I stopped it prematurely), but with the patch it crashes during "Retrieving Source Disk Info" and displayed "MULTICOPY caused an invalid page fault in
module VOBMPG2.AX at 0187:0967f6ec.". My experience IC7 has been abysmal. On a P3 system the files convert, but the sound gets so out of sync that the 2nd CD has only sound on it. I posted this problem in Pinnacle's forum over 1 week ago and so far no one has replied.

Last edited:
Most of the encoding software asks for a min of a P3 500. An AMD 450 is way less than that, I'd try a faster PC.

The latest DVD2SVCD comes with MPEG2DEC3.DLL now as default, I'm in the process of updating the Tute.

Thanks for the speedy response (I posted the IC7 issue on pinnacle 8/30 and still no response).

Its a shame I won't be able to put the old dog to use on something more praticle than surfing the WEB.

How about the recovery method? I can copy what did get converted, rerun besweet and restart the process where it couldn't find the audio file? If not, it won't be a problem, but it would save some time.

If you have the *.m1v and the *.mp2 video & audio files, then just Mux these together in TMPGenc manually (Simple Mux in MPEG Tools section), that can always be done when things go wrong. You can also use TMPGenc to cut the file to CD size also.

Maybe a good idea to install DVD2SVCD again also, the latest is ver 1.2.1 build 2

I have finally made a VCD with properly sync'd audio (yeah). IC7 didn't and neither did DVD squeeze (both produced sound lag of several seconds in under 1 minute of play). Switching to a P3 seems to have solved the problem. Thank you.

The MPEG2DEC3.DLL issue seems to be tied to the version of avisynth you install. When I reinstalled on my P3 I opted for the older version and found MPEG2DEC2.DLL. Which do you recommend?

Now I have another issue. The final product ends up on 2 VCD's. The .mpg and VCD both have this annoying flicker in sections on the first disk only. When viewed frame by frame it looks like an image from the previous scene superimposed for a frame or 2 and does not appear until a few frames into a next scene (sometimes within the same scene). This doesn't show up until 37:52 (this is also weird, media player reports this as 37:52 and power DVD says 37:22) in on a 128 min movie. This is definitely not in the .vob files (I checked). The flicker seems to end at 59:24. The 2nd vcd is only 14 minutes long and does not do this. Have you ever heard of this Before? Do you have any suggestions? I have been following your "How to backup your DVD to VCD (Alternative way)". Would I be better off with DVD2AVI?

I would suggest installing AVISynth 2.52 and using MPEG2DEC3.DLL only because it is faster than MPEG2DEC2.DLL

I would suggest you use the "Alternative way" for VCD's also, slightly better quality and less fiddly as well.

How did you encode, as 23.976 fps or 29.97 fps ? Which Template did you load ? If you use tyhe DVD2SVCD way, it eliminates all these problems as it automaticaly selects the right settings.

I used the DVD2SVCD method. I don't see anything in your alternate way tutorial about templates so I didn't touch any. There was one part of the tutorial I had to make an assumption on. They say to load "VCD-Settings.ini" The only file I could find was "VCD.ini". I assumed that was the one you ment. I never touched the encoding frame rate. Is there a buffer setting of some type?

I have been thinking about this flicker issue. The system I used to make the VCD isn't bad (933MHz), but its showing signs of needing a Windows reload (strange happenings some days). I will try running it in my best system (1GHz) which runs rock steady. The family will bitch (this system is in heavy use), but I realy want to know if this is going to work.

I have something new to report in my attempts to make a VCD. I complained to Pinnacle about IC7 not workihg properly (totaly unusable due to horrible sound lag). The responce was they had never heard of it being that bad and how would you like to try IC8? I'm not completly brain dead so I said sure. Well, it worked!! The VCD had correctly sync'd sound and no video artifacts like the flicker I mentioned (still got to try DVD2SVCD on my better system).

I understand they will be offering IC8 as an upgrade for $30 to registered users of IC7 (but I got mine already :) ). The price could be better (I got Instand CD/DVD 7 which includes IC7 for $30 after rebate). I will have to try IC8 with a couple of known problem movies and let you know how well it works on DVD's (LOTR is a know trouble maker for IC7).

DVD2SVCD on my best system did no better. I still have the flicker issue in the same place. The movie I am working on is "Just Visiting". Any ideas?

I know this doesn't belong in the section, but I did say I was going to try IC8 on LOTR and I did. IC8 copied the movie no problem. I let it compress the entire dvd (no removals) and the titles were compressed to 45% of original size. As far as I can tell they fixed their problem.

Good news for the IC8.

As for the flicker, in the Encoder Tab, change the Field Order from Automatic to Bottom Field First (Field B) and give that a try. The try Top Field First (Field A) is its still there. Just stop the encode early and check the final result. If okay, then use the Recover option to continue.

Ok, just tried the last suggestions (been busy). Still have that "flicker" if I use field a or b. I'm not certain of the encoding rate (deleted the results before looking at the log, dumb :( ). I think it was 23.976.

I guess I'm going to give up for now. It was more like trying out a new toy kind of activity :). Thanks for the help, but if you think of anything else, let me know.

Arr... thats an Interlacing problem :( I wouldnt use the term jerky to describe it though.

In the main Conversion Tab of DVD2SVCD, in the Deinterlacing box, select Telecine (PAL) option and proceed from there.