DVD to DVD

I have just bought a Freecom DVD+R/RW and think maybe I have made a mistake and bought a DVD-R/RW are my thoughts right My main use will be to back up movies

Hi Uncle
It wasn't meant to be a joke but I have a Freecom DVD+R/RW and have been told that I need a DVD-R/RW PLEASE PLEASE HELP while I still have time to take the + back
Thank you

dvd+rw is the better system but there are not much medias for it. but you can still use dvd-r which are getting cheaper and cheaper. it is all very theoritical for me cause i ain't got any. sorry. just buy a dvd-r medium and test it before you gonna send it back.

E

elpresidente

DVD-R!!!!!!!!!!!

LISTEN !!!

I´ve a PIONEER A03 (-r/RW) for backing up movies it is the best solution !! better compatibility to standalone players and cheap MEDIA !!!

FOR RUMZEISS MY FRIEND ... THERE AREN´T DVD+R MEDIA !! YET !!

BESIDES ... ix and ct´ (HEISSE) also said that pioneers dvd-r are more compatible than +rw...

I tested some standalone players ... list is somwhere in this forum ..

greetz

DVD+R

I agree with elpresidente,
DVD-R and DVD+R are not compatible

DVD+R is not ready yet...
Another issue is that Philips is releasing it's DVD+RW+R very soon .. but now the JOKE:
I heard the following (dunno if it's true though):
DVD+RW from the current philips drive is NOT compatible with the DVD+RW from the new drive...

I agree that DVD-R is the best option for now. The reason for saying this is that the media is much much cheaper..
If you are planning on burning movies, i assume that you want to keep them, so why burning them on an expensive RW (+R media and the +R burner are not available yet)
If you own a PS2 it's possible to backup your games with DVD-R, i don't know about +R
I also think that it's a question of demand... you see that the DVD-R media is getting cheaper and cheaper, i heard that eventually the price of a DVD-R will almost be the same as a CDR
DVD-R does also have the backing of the official DVD-forum, DVD+RW does not.

The problem is that at this point no-one can tell which system will win the race, it can be +R/RW because it was designed to be more compatible with standalone players.. who knows
I think it will be up to you and me, the buyers.. it will be the same as with VHS and Betamax... just a question of demand.
If at the end the +R/RW will win, i just buy a new one because my burner will be at the museum by that time.

Maybe it's just a good idea of testing a DVD-R on your standalone to see if it's working, as i have problems with playing movies on the PS2.

This is ofcourse just my humble opinion and i'm not an expert on this matter..

Good luck at your quest..

Greetz

Rinkel

Last edited: