DVD Shrink - how low can you go ?

Reason being, I am going to back up my Red dwarf DVD's and was doing a little following of Laz's tutorial, but when it came to level of compression, it seemed I would have to go down to a l;evel NINE to get the bar completely green. And its still pictures next just about ! So how low CAN you go without it ending up like a series of slides ? The Red dwraf dvd was a nightmare, it wasnt panning out like Laz's tutorial had me believeing. The menu's I was wanting shot of, I couldnt get to when I selected re-authoring. Any ideas ? Yet, when I select level 9, and get the green bar complete, it says its "45%" and 3.162 MB - surely it can go higher than that ? Level 5 is still within the 4.3 boundary that I had thought was safe. :confused:

(Its not even here yet, my dvd writer - just thought i'd get my hand in and get one ready. "This is one we did earlier..." ;)

Last edited:

Laz

And Phil, if you are trying to backup a series disc then you don't use reauthor mode m8 but full disc mode.

I don't ever use DVD Shrink for ep discs myself, I find Pinnacle Instant Copy a much beeter tool for this.

ChickenMan said:
What version of Shrink are you using, sounds like 2.3 ? Try the new version 3 beta 5.
Yes, indeed. Download the 3 beta, and now the bar is entirely green, at 4.464 gb. But I thought it wouldn't burn properly with more than 4.3-ish ?
Please excuse my dopiness on this - the writer isnt even here yet - due tomorrow or Friday - just thought I'd have a fiddle about. I'll be perusing your tutorials too chief ! :)
One other thing - when its on automatic compression, is the pic thats running below what it'll look like ? If so, not bad at all for 69% compression - but somehow I doubt it. Hmm - seems like its running a mite slow. Ah well, I'll have to start on the tutorials.

Last edited:
Most progs tend to use Kb and not gb, so its 4,472 kb max (or there abouts) for a DVDR.

Let it go and see what you end up with. If the final size of the files is under a true 4.37gig then all is well.

The pic is for an aid of where the encoding is up to, representation only from the original dvd data. Speed of encoding is of course dependant on your CPU speed, the higher, the faster.

Check out my Tute but also check out Laz's tute for the DVD Shrink all free method. Its simple to use. Mine is for those where quality comes first and not concerned how simple or quick the conversion is.

ChickenMan said:
Most progs tend to use Kb and not gb, so its 4,472 kb max (or there abouts) for a DVDR.

Let it go and see what you end up with. If the final size of the files is under a true 4.37gig then all is well.

The pic is for an aid of where the encoding is up to, representation only from the original dvd data. Speed of encoding is of course dependant on your CPU speed, the higher, the faster.

Check out my Tute but also check out Laz's tute for the DVD Shrink all free method. Its simple to use. Mine is for those where quality comes first and not concerned how simple or quick the conversion is.
I'll be after quality, mate. Dunno if you're much of a Red Dwarf fan, but I believe the series deserves the best quality backups for my originals - and my daughter now wants backups for her Harry Potter dvd's ! The queue of requests is lengthening and the bloody things two days away from delivery ! :rolleyes:

I know it would be a pain Phil but if its quality that you want its best to use CCE and renecode it all.

They just follow this Tute. http://www.cdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=26515

I've backed up my Star Trek Next Generation series 1 to 7, all 48 DVD's as well as Deep Space 9 series 1 to 4. All with the above Tute.

But I dont explain well in the Tute how to do multi ep DVD's. Lets say there are 4 eps per DVD (as in TNG and DS9) then set CD length to 1/4 of the 4400 in the Bitrate tab. ie 1100. and encode each separately. I tend to use batch mode for this (see the DVD to SVCD tute on how to do that). I extract the animated menu out of the VTS_0x_0.vob file (using DVD2AVI to mark out the bit I want, save Project [that gives me the Audio] & then re-encode the *.d2v file with TMPGEnc [that gives me the Video] ) Then author all in Maestro spending time to get the Connection right. They produce excellent backups of the original with the best quality possible.

ChickenMan said:
They just follow this Tute. http://www.cdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=26515

I've backed up my Star Trek Next Generation series 1 to 7, all 48 DVD's as well as Deep Space 9 series 1 to 4. All with the above Tute.

But I dont explain well in the Tute how to do multi ep DVD's. Lets say there are 4 eps per DVD (as in TNG and DS9) then set CD length to 1/4 of the 4400 in the Bitrate tab. ie 1100. and encode each separately. I tend to use batch mode for this (see the DVD to SVCD tute on how to do that). I extract the animated menu out of the VTS_0x_0.vob file (using DVD2AVI to mark out the bit I want, save Project [that gives me the Audio] & then re-encode the *.d2v file with TMPGEnc [that gives me the Video] ) Then author all in Maestro spending time to get the Connection right. They produce excellent backups of the original with the best quality possible.
All good stuff, CM. I'll try to follow your instructions to the best of my befuddled minds ability ! :confused: :D

bertieg said:
I know it would be a pain Phil but if its quality that you want its best to use CCE and renecode it all.
That"s true. If the main-movie is around 6-6.5Gb go with the transcoder(DVD2one,DVDShrink,CloneDVD), bigger than 6.5Gb it"s better to re-encode it.
:)