DVD-/+RW question...

fullboostorbust

I've heard you can only erase and re-write over DVD+/- RW's so many times before they die. How many times can you do this before the disk is shot?

rebootjim

I have only heard, that some crap out after 10-15 uses, but I think that's BS.
I have one that came with my old 4x that's going on 200 uses.
I have an old CDRW that's well over 1000 :D

i would say they are good for 10 maby 15 re writes max before they degrade dependent on how much data is put on them !?

other people may have more luck and get more uses out of them ?!

Personally i wouldnt use them for anything that you would consider important just in case :)

Aye they can be a mixed bag...i had one recently that died after only 3 or 4 burns whilst i still use another one that has had atleast 50 re-writes and is still going strong. As viper said it's not advisable to use them for important stuff.

fullboostorbust

Thanks guys,

Viper, Yea i just got a offordable DVD recorder for my home entertainment center. I have been using it like a Tivo with the benifit of finalizing and playing it eltsware if its a good enough show/movie. Just wanted an idea of how trigger happy i should be with the RW's hehe. Thanks.

dvdrs are pretty cheap too bud if you want to keep a written disk then i suggest back it up as soon as you can to dvdr :)

Like CD-RW, it varies.... I've had CD-RW media that managed precisely ZERO uses.

If the drive and media agree well with each other, you can get many uses - I believe CD-RW is supposed to be good for 1000, probably similar for DVD +/-RW, but it's a LOT more variable than the performance of write-once media.

And in general, best NOT to rely on rewriteable - ok for testing, but that's about all!