DVD Movie on 2 DVDs How to backup to 1 DVD-R

I have a DVD movie that is on 2 DVDs, the first part of the movie is on Disc 1 and the second part of the movie is on Disc 2, What I would like to know is how to backup the movie onto 1 DVD-R Disc.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

This was written by a friend, as it says it does not take account of menu's etc. but maybe someone could add to it ?

This guide will get you the Movie joined ONLY, without menus.

1. You have 2 folders... DVD 1 and DVD 2 (with two AUDIO_TS, and VIDEO_TS subfolders)

2. In DVD 2\VIDEO_TS, change VTS_01_x.VOB to VTS_01_00x.VOB where x is the number in the filename..so the change is to add 2 zeros before the number (x) IMPORTANT, make sure you rename the VTS_01_0.VOB to VTS_01_000.VOB

3. Open VOBEdit, and Open DVD 1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB and look at the top of the left section (LBA)..there you should see a Navigation Pack VOB:? (usually its 1)..that number you have to remembr..we will need it later on...

4. Now open DVD 2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_001.VOB..one of the files you renamed

5. Click on the Edit menu..and then Join Clips...

6. Find a directory where you want to store you new Vob Sets (make sure you have al least 8-10 gigs free..depending on the size of the files)

7. It will ask you for a First VOB-ID...it is the one i said to remember..(usually its 1)..

8. You will have a new set of 4 VOB files

9. Rename those 00x files BACK to what they were except you have to rename them following the last number in the last new set vob filename...ex..from VTS_01_001.VOB to VTS_01_5.VOB (if the last new set vob was VTS_01_4.VOB)

10. Once you have renamed those files, cut and paste them into the new directory of the new set VOB files

11. Start IFOEdit and click on CreateIFOs

12. Keep every option in tact and select the new set's VTS_01_1.VOB file

13. Check 'Same as source' so that the new IFO and BUP files are written in the new set's directory

14. Test the movie in WinDVD or PowerDVD and voila! you did it

15. Optional (Compress the new set with IC7 and Burn with Nero)

I have used this exact guide to create a single DVDR that worked perfectly on my computer.

(Atomikk)

Hope this helps

Another way is to encode each dvd to 2200 size (1/2 a DVDR) in DVD2One, Shrink, IC7, etc (or even follow the DVD to DVDR Tute) and then load each set of VOB files into DVDLab, ling end of movie 1 to start of Movie 2 and re-author. A Menu can be added here if really needed.

ChickenMan said:
Another way is to encode each dvd to 2200 size (1/2 a DVDR) in DVD2One, Shrink, IC7, etc (or even follow the DVD to DVDR Tute) and then load each set of VOB files into DVDLab, ling end of movie 1 to start of Movie 2 and re-author. A Menu can be added here if really needed.
ChickenMan,

Found your new tut and now have the file to be authoredb through DVD Maestro but I don't understand for side 2 chapters, , load into Notepad and manually add the total length in hours minutes and seconds of Side1 movie to EACH line. Save out,could you do an Example with pics for me PLEASE.

Lets say the chpters of side 1 were

00:00:00
00:05:00
00:08:00
00:15:00
00:25:00
and file length was (in min) 30:00 min long

and for side 2 it was the same at

then add 30min to each line in disk2 and then add them all to disk1 file with end result of

00:30:00
00:35:00
00:38:00
00:45:00
00:55:00

Hope thats a bit clearer

ChickenMan,

Now I understand what to do,after I get the new chapter points for disk 2,do I have to put the chapter points in manually or can I load them into Maestro like i would for the first disk?

I have always just merged the 2 files together into one and load it in, however you can always have notepad open to one side and manually enter them into MAestro, its just more difficult to get them exact that way.

Now I fully understand just merge the two together and import into Maestro as you would do with a normal back up.

Thanks ChickenMan I would be lost without your help.