DVD Install Caused VERY Slow Startup Time

jondoh

I just installed an LG Electronics GMA-4020B CDR/RW, DVD+-R/RW, DVD-RAM Multi Drive (2x write speed). To maintain the proper perspective, the technology is close to 4 years old, but the drive is brand-new out of the retail box from LG. The installation seems to have worked properly - there are no errors being reported, and Device Manager shows a fully-working device. I do have a problem, however: My startup time soared from 32 sec to over 7 min. I've included the following info that leads me to believe the boot process is having a hard time seeing the drives on the secondary IDE channel, but I have no idea what to do about it.

PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL: SAMSUNG SV4012H
[Device 0]:
Device Type: Not Selected (Can't Select)
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5
[Device 1]:
Device Type: Auto Detection
Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL: (1) LG Elec. HL-DT-ST
DVDRAM GMA-4020B (master), (2) SONY CD-RW
CRX1611 (slave)
[Device 0]:
Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2
[Device 1]:
Current Transfer Mode: Mult-Word DMA Mode 2

(1) Anybody got any suggestions?
(2) Is there any kind of conflict that can arise from combining a Mult-Word DMA CD drive with an Ultra DMA DVD drive?

Thanks

jondoh said:
(1) Anybody got any suggestions?
your configuration looks O.K., nevertheless ensure the jumper are set up correctly; and have a look into Windows' event log, maybe there are problems reported;

(2) Is there any kind of conflict that can arise from combining a Mult-Word DMA CD drive with an Ultra DMA DVD drive?
usually not;
remove the sony for testing purposes; and try a 40-wired IDE cable, it's the proper choose for ATAPI devices;

Greetings from
Duracell

jondoh

Duracell said:
remove the sony for testing purposes; and try a 40-wired IDE cable, it's the proper choose for ATAPI devices;
Thanks, Duracell. Sorry I took so long to reply.

I removed the Sony and everything looks to be perfect! I forgot to mention that the LG also has a CD-RW drive built in -- I think I read somewhere that two similar drives on the same IDE Controller wouldn't work, and might even be hard on the system (one hard shutdown during this period). Do you know if that's true?

No, it's not true in general, but it depends on the mainboard chipset and the type of ATAPI devices used. In most modern mobos, it doesn't matter which DMA mode is used by a particular device on the IDE bus- but as suggested, replace the 80-wire cable you are possibly using with a 40-wire one for the ATAPI devices.

Duracell said:
verify if the drive position at the cable does match to the jumper position;
This shouldn't be the case... wrong jumper position amounts to an unrecognisable drive/bus, and not to crippled performance.
Can you tell us which mainboard/chipset you are using?

jondoh

Can you tell us which mainboard/chipset you are using?
MOTHERBOARD:
Motherboard Name: TriGem eMachines Imperial
Motherboard ID: 31891.EM.0000.D.0211201334
Company Name: TriGem Computer Inc.

CHIPSET:
North Bridge: Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
South Bridge: Intel 82801DB ICH4
Company Name: Intel Corporation

i845 should normally have no issues with the device bus position. Just get sure you use a FOURTY lead IDE cable, and you don't use any form of "Intel Application Accelerator" over the regular windows driver.

jondoh

I started out with a Samsung SD-616 DVD-Rom and another CD-RW drive that failed. I don't know the jumper setting for the failed drive, but the Samsung was jumpered for CSEL. [Secondary: Samsung-csel, failed drive-?]

I bought the Sony to replace the failed drive and installed it in the middle of the secondary cable with a jumper setting of "slave." [Secondary: Samsung-Master, Sony-Slave]

I replaced the Samsung with the LG and set the LG at "master." This is the first installation that didn't work properly. Could it be that my boot disk settings are wrong? [Secondary: LG-Master, Sony-Slave].

Regardless, if I found that I really wanted the Sony back I could put it on the Primary channel, couldn't I?

Don't use CSEL, just the regular "master" and 'slave" jumper positions.
With 80-wire cable the master must be on the cable far end and the slave on the middle. With 40-wire cable positioning is not critical, you can put master/slave to any cable plug you wish. also, 80-wire cables are directional, while 40-wire ones are not.

Last edited: