DVD Compatibility

I'm a bit new to all this DVD stuff, but I'm going to take the plunge this weekend and buy a Pioneer 106.

The more I read about DVD+R, the more I feel it will eventually become the standard (if the two don't merge that is!) as it appears to be more reliable.

As the Pioneer is dual format, would a purchase of +R discs be more compatible with standard DVD-Video players? I realise that media is also an important factor, but I would also like suggestions on software also.

bode :)

I have a Pioneer 104 which is DVD-R or RW and I back up and burn with DVD Decrypter or DVD X Copy Xpress with Ritek Media. I find that even home DVD players (sony, sharp) that don't play other backup play mine. You might want to take a look at the your players and see what other people say they can play. Just remember its just a guide and not a bible but its a good start.:cool: Good luck
A good sight for that is dvdrhelp.
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

I donr believe the +R or the -R are any more reliable than the other on playback. It really depends on how they are trans or encoded and burnt that determines if they play or not, not +R or -R. The +R media is substantially dearer here in Oz and reported the same in the UK and US so why would you want to use +R media ?

All the hype is comming from Sony or Phillips who own the +R rights, of course they want to see +R win out, as then they will make millions from it. 2/3 of the DVD burners in the world are -R, the rest +R or Combo's so why would you recon +R will win out. Availability and price of media is what will determine ultimately who will win, if either.

From what I've read, +R discs are manufactured to a higher standard; with -R, you are more likely to find poor discs. I imagine that +R discs will come down in price eventually.

Sony and Philips are big players, they will not lie back to take 2nd place in the format war if they decide that one format should exist. I believe it will be decided when the home standalone recorders become affordable to everyday folk.

But I will retract the statement that +R will win and re-state that they are more likely to merge. The flagship Sony standalone recorder is dual format, so I imagine things will go that way...it makes sense.

In ten years or whatever, they will phase out one of the formats, by this time it will not really matter.

But my question is answered, thanks people. :)

Also remember Sony tried and tried to push their BETA tape recorders some time back. Technically superior and the players where always discounted, but VHS won out simple because of numbers. The same will happen here, the marketplace will determine the future, not all the hype from $ hungry Sony or Phillips.